Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

How do I match color when painting my 96Xp hood?

Im putting a single gauge hood on my 96xp. The hood im about to pick up is slightly faded so if it doesnt shine back up I may want to put a fresh coat of yellow on it.

Im sure other people have been through this.. so maybe someone can tell me how I can match the hull color. Is there a code??.. if not, maybe there is a brand of spraypaint thats close? If I can get the code I can have paint made ...

Im not too excited about doing this.. pastics tend to flake paint.. especially on something like this that is going to flex.

ok...

well some are saying krylon fusion will stick and not flake off..
    is the yellow close? anyone else use it?

I don't know how faded your hood is,but, I have had very good luck using steel wool and water to restore the original color (yellow). the white fade is actually "dead' plastic that comes off easily allowing the "good' plastic underneath to show through. I keep a little Armoural on the plastic to keep it looking new. Try it and see how it works for you before you paint that plastic.
    Robert V

I plan to try that first. The 'dead' layer is oxidation most likely.
    Someone suggested scotch brite and greased lightning. If that doesnt work, ill have to paint. I cant stand the faded plastics..

Im going to test the krylon fusion on something and see how it takes.. then ill go from there I guess.

I could have just called the dealer and asked about the code instead of posting.. but every time I think of it, the dealer is closed.

Before you go with painting the hood, Try using a heat gun on it. IMHO a better choice than trying to scrub it with a scotchbrite, and it's easier.
    Just run the heat gun over the whole hood from about 3-5 inches away. Keep the heat gun moving so you don't get one spot too hot (I do small circles). This should bring the oils back up to the surface and make the color come back. If kept out of the sun when you're not riding, it will stay looking new.

I did my yellow xp hood at the beginning of the summer, and It still looks great. This trick works on most hard plastics.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by fboncore View Post
    Before you go with painting the hood, Try using a heat gun on it. IMHO a better choice than trying to scrub it with a scotchbrite, and it's easier.
    Just run the heat gun over the whole hood from about 3-5 inches away. Keep the heat gun moving so you don't get one spot too hot (I do small circles). This should bring the oils back up to the surface and make the color come back. If kept out of the sun when you're not riding, it will stay looking new.

I did my yellow xp hood at the beginning of the summer, and It still looks great. This trick works on most hard plastics.
    +1

I did a field trip to Little Tikes with one of my kids...they said the same thing.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by fboncore View Post

I tried this last night. It works great if there is no mold or dirty spots on the hood. Don't get me wrong I cleaned the crap out of it before trying this. Long story short I used an air drill with something like a 400 grit used sanding disk and turtle rubbing compound with a lil water in it to get out all the dirt/mold, then went back again and hit it with the gun. Turned out really nice. Thanks for the suggestions.

+1

anyone have before/after pics?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by twelvesorbetter View Post
    anyone have before/after pics?

Yep I have some decent camera picts that I will upload this week.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information