Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    RizzO
    +1

pro1200 "hot" ??

Hello I am have troubles with 1 0f my pro1200's.... Is there A way I can flush the cooling system too be sure it is flowing properly?? And is there A way to test the temp. senser(wherever it is located)?? Also I have looked around this fourm for answers on what the ohms sould be for the oil level sensor(the mfd is saying "OIL" and "HOT") but there is plenty of oil in tank and motor is smoking and its not very Hot to the touch so I am thinking that the senser might be bad. Thanks, Andy

Many Thanks, Andy

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    The temp sensor is located in the outlet water rail on the starboard side near the thermostat. It screws into the rail. The temp sensor should measure 0 ohms when hot and infinity when cool(measured to ground). The oil sender should measure between 33 - 240 ohms. 33 when full and 240 empty.
    Last edited by starflight; 10-13-2008 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Screwed up

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1

temp sender

correction on a pro1200 the temp sender is in the exhaust manifold at the pto cylinder,there is a quick disconnect on it.

RizzO
    +1
    Thank you very much, I will try these things tonight or tomarro morning, and let you know my results. Thank you so much.

These are the first Polaris I have owned and before I owned Kawaski and Sea-Doo's and they had kits to run while on a garden hose, does polaris have a such thing, I just want to be sure that the cooling system is flowing properly on both of my pro1200's? Thanks andy

The mfd on the pro that is giving me these troubles is comming and going and rolling but somtime it is readable, it looks to have condensation on the inside of it and now has a mind of its own, could the function of this be giving the engin false readings of the oil and temp senser?? Like I said the craft has 7/8 tank of fresh Polaris Racing synthetic oil(got a deal on it at the dealership) and smokes when running(very lightly), and right after I saw these messages on the flickering mfd I turned pwc off and pulled seat and felt engin and the temp was not that hot, I could esily keep my hand on all cylinders and exaust manifold. For as long as I wanted, also this had happened after it was ideling to the lake threw no wake area for only 3 minutes, before this it was on shore NOT running for 30 minutes, reason I am saying this is 3 minutes long enough to trip the temp senser?

Thanks for all the help you guys Rock!!
    Andyman

RizzO
    +1
    do thermostates go bad in these?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by rizzo7883 View Post
    do thermostats go bad in these?
    Welcome to the Hulk.

Download the Service Manuals closest to your model year.

The thermostats can stick closed. Easy to remove. Look up any domestic engine model (900, 1050, 1200 engine) in the Service Manual, and remove the thermostat housing from under the end of the water manifold bar.

Take out both the thermostat and the pressure bypass plunger+spring, and put the thermostat housing back on the engine without these parts inside. Now you have no thermostat, so any over-heating is caused by something else.

While you are working on it, check all the cooling hoses for kinks or signs of internal collapse.

Also check the cooling water inlet screen, located inside the tapered jet pump nozzle. If the plastic mesh is clogged, it will restrict cooling water flow.

If you can reach your hand in through the steering nozzle and then into the pump nozzle (engine OFF), you can feel the intake screen on the right had side of the nozzle. Just make sure it isn't clogged up.

Make sure the plastic tube mounted along the outside of the jet pump (right side) is in place, and not broken or cracked.

Back on the engine, remove the small cooling water hose that injects water into the exhaust system. Make sure the mesh screen is not clogged, and that the small hole in the injection fitting is clear.

Now put it back together, minus the thermostat bits, and test it.

You can test it strapped to the trailer (front and back), backed down the launch ramp until the jet pump intake is submerged. This allows you to have the seat off, and run the engine with the jet pump in the lake, for as long as needed.

+1
    do thermostates go bad in these?

YES take it out and throw it AWAY !!!

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1

t-stat

polaris did away with t-stats in 2000 except fi skis

RizzO
    +1
    Thanks for all the great tips, and the closest manual listed is for '99 SLX and I d.l.ed it and it looks to be real close, so I guess I will go by it and if I have any questions I know where to go. Thanks again.

RiZ
    AndymaN

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    ...the closest manual listed is for '99 SLX...
    Where did you find a '99 Service Manual online?

The 1992-1998 Service Manual should cover most things.

Next closest online manual would the the 2002, in terms of the 1200 motor.

Note that the SLX Pro 785 is a special model, so the Pro 785 manual does not match your domestic engined '01 Pro 1200.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information