Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Talked to Franky Zappata on Sunday

I got to meet Franky and Malte on Sunday. Great guys and super cool to talk to! They were standing next to Franky's GP boat that he won the World Championship with and were talking about Franky's setup. Here are some interesting facts:

• Franky ran GP Runabout Open this year with a SC'd ski and not a turbo, he said he went SC this year so that he could ensure he wont break down like last year.
    • He said his ski makes about 325HP with his current setup
    • He was running his special Zappata hull which anyone can buy if they are rich lol!
    • His secret weapon is not his motor but his pump, so he says. His pump which I got to see is a 1 off pump that he has ran for 2 years now. He said next year he will be selling the pump though the minimum price will be $3k
    • Franky got the holeshot each time on his ski and this is going up against Sam Harvey's GTI that ran super fast, and Dustin Farthing's awesome Kawasaki!
    • The 2 best handling runabout's were Franky's ski and Craig Warner's ski (stx-r), I wanted to see them race each other but IJSBA rules made it so that Franky could not enter Pro-AM Runabout Open. I think this would have been the best race seeing them go head to head.

+1
    nice info!!!

Franky is an amazing guy. Very informative and friendly unlike what most people expect.

Its amazing how he one with the 325 hp engine though....everyone was pushing 350+ at the finals in gp class. Thing is not everybody can ride their boats wide open as good as he does. Hes one hell of a monster.

+1
    the things that make his ski perform so well besides his awesome skill as a rider is
    leaving on time and not jumping the start

not letting off in the turns and missing bouys

super light rotating mass on the engine, he has no magneto along with alot of other things that have been lightened or removed

super light, very quick planning hull, this is where power to weight ratio helps

and yes his pump..........cause you gotta stay hooked up

great info aha!

I must say, the dude is an amazing rider. We were comparing the other guys in the GP race, he was in and out of the turn so G-Damm fast it was mindboggling. While the others, sure they were fast, but not as fast as Zapata. I agree, I want to see Warner and Zappata mix it up. Warner also hits them turns at amazing speeds, and gets outta it pretty damm fast.

After the Zapata won, Pirate33 and I walked back to the tech section, his boat was sitting in the water. 4 guys walked up to it, and picked it up, and walked it 25 yds like it weighed nothing!

My hats off to him, especially considering on one race, he had back to back motos, first was GP SKI class, then he jumped off his ski, and got on the GP R/A... Thats talent, and stamina!

+1
    Zapata & Warner i believe u guys said was his name may not have gotten on the coarse together that day but i PROMISE u people there know who the fastest boat was based on lap times and moto time finishes........im not saying i do im only saying somebody does! PERIOD! stop watches the wave of the future! BET!!!!!!!!

+1
    This is exactly how Zapata and Warner ride. We were standing right by the orange buoy close to shore and you can see when Zapata came around the buoy he never let off the throttle and went around the buoy perfectly. Meanwhile when Sam Harvey went around the buoy we saw his pump come out of the water completly. This of course caused him to lose speed. The skill Zapata has is amazing.

Now the same goes for Warner. Watching him round the buoys he never lets off the gas and rarely makes a mistake. I wish Rius did not have problems on Sunday as it was awesome watching Warner and Rius duke it out... SHO vs STX-R.

Reid I hear ya about lap times but I dont think its only lap times. I mean if your trying to pass someone you can make mistakes and hurt your speed. Also if your neck and neck with another rider rounding buoy's that has an affect on your performance too. IMO the only true test would be for Warner and Zappata to go head to head.

I can tell ya Warner had his STX-R running super fast... He passed Armino on the back stretch as if Armino was doing 40mph. In the end he lapped everyone up to the 5th place position rider.

Dan you are so right about hookup... on Sunday morning the 1st race of the day was GP Open and the waves were at least 4feet and everyone's ski was flying out of the water except for Zappata's. His ski sticks to the water like superglue and allowed him to take the win easy.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JD 1 View Post
    the things that make his ski perform so well besides his awesome skill as a rider is
    leaving on time and not jumping the start

super light rotating mass on the engine, he has no magneto along with alot of other things that have been lightened or removed

super light, very quick planning hull, this is where power to weight ratio helps

and yes his pump..........cause you gotta stay hooked up

great info aha!
    So he has...

-no front oil pump
    -Open loop
    -Lightweight pistons/crank,rods
    -No magneto

Anything else??

With regard to removing the magneto, can you simply unbolt it and remove it with no ill affects? (apart from the lack of charging ofcourse)

I suspect he also has a decked head too.

I was not there but I doubt it was a STXR last year he was on a supercharger 15F.

+1
    I had heard it was a 15F top deck with a 250 Hull

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information