Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Gotta love this sport! 05Limited's Avatar
    +1

Stretch Bolts...

OK, though it is advised to replace stretch bolts rather than reuse them, a reusable length limit is published for the 4-tec head bolts. This has prompted me to save a dime (a lot of dimes) when swapping heads... never a single problem.

My question is this: Could a person utilize used rocker shaft bolts that have not exceeded a certain length? I'm not trying to spur a, "why don't you just replace them there not that expensive, you cheap bastard", debate. I'm simply asking that if in fact there is a tolerance for head bolts, could there be a tolerance established for the rocker bolts?

The answer may involve simple geometry that claims the bolt will bottom out in the threaded hole, or it may be more involved by taking into account the decreased bolt diameter caused by increasing length (bolt not secured properly in it's threads and boss).

Any "fastener fiends" out there have some thoughts

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 05Limited View Post
    OK, though it is advised to replace stretch bolts rather than reuse them, a reusable length limit is published for the 4-tec head bolts. This has prompted me to save a dime (a lot of dimes) when swapping heads... never a single problem.

My question is this: Could a person utilize used rocker shaft bolts that have not exceeded a certain length? I'm not trying to spur a, "why don't you just replace them there not that expensive, you cheap bastard", debate. I'm simply asking that if in fact there is a tolerance for head bolts, could there be a tolerance established for the rocker bolts?

The answer may involve simple geometry that claims the bolt will bottom out in the threaded hole, or it may be more involved by taking into account the decreased bolt diameter caused by increasing length (bolt not secured properly in it's threads and boss).

Any "fastener fiends" out there have some thoughts
    You are probably right, there has to be some parameter that would allow them to be reused, but has that parameter been determined

+1
    Good question, I know the head bolts can be used about 3 times, but what about the rocker bolts?

+1
    I have reused the rocker shaft bolts before with no problems but only did it in a pinch

Otherwise i like to change them.

+1
    i reuse them once ......... then they gone like the wind after that!

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    i thought at one time there was a certain year shop manual that gave specs for re-useable limits for both the head and rocker shaft bolts? ... i'll have to look thru all the 4-tec years and see if i'm imagining things or if there was a year or two they published the limits

none-theless.... there's hundreds of skis running out there right now on re-used rocker shaft bolts. and i've done it on my skis numerous times with no problems

+1
    I'll admit that my question comes on the heels of yet another head removal... and yes, I probably really am a cheap bastard that wants to save another dime.

But!... I'd think that if one were to measure the length of a new head bolt, factor in the tolerance allowed in a used head bolt... then one could come up with an "allowable percentage of length" increase that could be applied to the rocker bolts.

I'm off to the shop with a caliper.

how about connecting rod bolts?

+1
    spinyard... you bring up a good point/thought.

But, if I were a gambling man (as I'm about to be with the rocker bolts), then I would rather place my money on a static bolt surviving it's task, rather than a bolt involved with the violence of a reciprocating part.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information