Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Test Pilot and Racer for Hire phoenixcustoms's Avatar

Post WORX WR540 Sponsons RXP-X RXT-X

So last night a goodie showed up from Tom at WORX USA

It is there new WR540 Sponson for the RXP-X and RXT-X
    These do not replace the WR534 that are made for the RXP its that the WR540 are just little less aggressive and tailored to go with there new grate for the X boats. I will be testing these out this weekend so stay tuned. Also I will have comparative photos and measurements. As well as any speed gains if any which typically does not happen but if it helps create more lift than we might see a quicker time to plane out and maybe a small speed increase but only a fraction.

I would like to go ahead and thank TOM from WORX USA for letting me test these sponsons out as I did not pay for these. So I give Tom A lot of credit for allowing me this opportunity to test these sponsons without bias.

+1
    Wring em out good. I'm definitely interested in your results. Particularly how they effect the rxt-x's tendency to hook during a high speed turn.

+1
    Change the intake grate it will take the hook out.

Sorry but what is the thickness of the two pieces? thank you veru much!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by danieletrono View Post
    Sorry but what is the thickness of the two pieces? thank you veru much!!!!
    Shoot I knew I missed something...I will have those up soon....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rxpstan View Post

What do you mean?

Banned User
    +1
    The stock sponsons on the RXT-X cause it to hook hard initially in the turn at high speeds. The boat then washes out of the turn. Intake grate won't help. You need to change the sponsons.

They look good....but how exactly do you test and compare sponsons?

I like the ones I have, but want more aggressive sponsons....waiting for your results.

BTW, is Tom the guy that designed the Worx grate for the X boats???

+1
    I've ridden a stage 3 RXT with OPAS blockoffs and stock sponsons. It was probably the worst turning setup I have ever been on. It felt like flooring an AWD car through a tight turn, understeer. Would aftermarket sponsons change that characteristic?

Banned User
    +1
    I don't know. I've never ridden the RXT....only the RXT-X, and I still have my OPAS flippers, but have the little plastic doohickeys that push them into the up position.

You can buy(from Jerry's store), the R&D sponsons and try them. They have a 30-day money back guarantee, so if its not what you like, send them back.

I just noticed that on my ski, the stock sponson would hook hard initially into a turn, then when I applied throttle to power through the turn, the ski would just washout of the turn.

Have you tried messing with the trim, and putting it in the full down position?? I also have the auto-drop nozzle, and combined with the sponsons, my ski turns wicked fast. I would actually like it to be more aggressive.

Quote Originally Posted by rxpstan View Post

Quote Originally Posted by MPower View Post
    What do you mean?
    change intake grates dont run the stocker buy the WORX or R&D

Quote Originally Posted by iflyems View Post
    The stock sponsons on the RXT-X cause it to hook hard initially in the turn at high speeds. The boat then washes out of the turn. Intake grate won't help. You need to change the sponsons.

This is wrong.... OPAS intiates the turn then Sponsons stablize the turn and create lift and your intake grate helps track you through depending on the design of the grate. Sponsons help dig into the water and stablize the boat through the turn. An intake grate like the WORX as a design feature in which helps keep the boat on track if you go back and look at my pictures of the worx grate from http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=74950
    you will see that the long bars on the grate stick out further from the hull especially in the back where it connects to the rideplate tab some what like a skeg. Boats wash out usually due to not enough grip and too much power into a turn like losing traction with tires. The WORX grates design element helps with this and TOM from WORX USA asked me to try these sponsons in conjuction with them as they where designed together.

They look good....but how exactly do you test and compare sponsons?

Well I have been riding my X with the WORX grate almost every weekend and I have 2 opportunities to test with the WORX sponsons in 2 different positons SO really its a matter of feal into the turns and I ride like I stole it so I will tell. Also aproach angles and departure angles as well as holeshot times and high speed GPS. All of this can be determined I wont have to do a back to back as I know the tendencies of my craft so I should be able to notice any changes in ride.

I like the ones I have, but want more aggressive sponsons....waiting for your results.

Will Let you know...From what I have already seen the WORX in the down position are about a full inch farther towards the water than stock. And a 1/2 inch further into the water in the up postion over stock. I also noticed that the WORX setup sits about 1/4 further back on the ski from stock

BTW, is Tom the guy that designed the Worx grate for the X boats???
    NO. Tom Perry is the owner of WORX USA who is the offical importer of WORX in aust...to the USA....

Quote Originally Posted by MPower View Post
    I've ridden a stage 3 RXT with OPAS blockoffs and stock sponsons. It was probably the worst turning setup I have ever been on. It felt like flooring an AWD car through a tight turn, understeer. Would aftermarket sponsons change that characteristic?
    If you remove OPAS on the older boats you need to get sponsons as you mentioned above thats how they turn....

Quote Originally Posted by iflyems View Post
    I don't know. I've never ridden the RXT....only the RXT-X, and I still have my OPAS flippers, but have the little plastic doohickeys that push them into the up position.

You can buy(from Jerry's store), the R&D sponsons and try them. They have a 30-day money back guarantee, so if its not what you like, send them back.

I just noticed that on my ski, the stock sponson would hook hard initially into a turn, then when I applied throttle to power through the turn, the ski would just washout of the turn.

Was this with factory intake grate???? Cause as the boat hits the turn the bottom of the hull slides cause it has nothing to create friction against the water.Sponsons wont help in this as the boats hull is where it all happens...sponsons only intiate a turn when there is no other device present like any other craft out there but because the Sea-Doo's have OPAS they actually intiate the turn 1st..Trust me when I say this try the WORX grate over what you have now if you dont like it I will gladley buy it from you cause I know someone right now who will take it...The Hull is where its at...You have to inprove upon that if you cant then you go to other options and this GRATE from WORX really helps its in the design just look and you could tell where it will help in turns....

Have you tried messing with the trim, and putting it in the full down position?? I also have the auto-drop nozzle, and combined with the sponsons, my ski turns wicked fast. I would actually like it to be more aggressive.
    Why do you think you would want to drop the nose of the ski down into a turn. Because you get more of the hull to dig into the turn meaning friction.....I remember when racing in the ski class's long time ago we use to use silicone and make little herseyies kisses on the nose of the boat almost to the bottom of the hull...all over the place use to stink up the place. The reason we did this was when we went into turns we wanted the boat to be able to grab as much water as possible to create grip....

Old mod there no one really does that on a runabout no need really as now we have trim and auto trim and big bulky hulls..

Trust me try the WORX and see what you think. Look I like the turning ability of the X as is with Stock sponsons and OPAS but with the WORX grate it made it even better...Now TOM wants me to see if it can get any better with the combination of there Sponsons and grate.. If not I go back to stock sponsons no big deal. Or he said I can try the old style worx sponsons but they found they were not as good as this design...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information