+1

Is silver colored pump oil a problem?

I drained the oil from the pump of my '98 GTX and it is a metallic silver color. The pump was completely rebuilt last year and has about 15 hours on it. I use OEM synthetic oil. It looks like the correct amount drained out and the only water I saw was what was trapped in the double wall of the cone. Does this indicate a problem?

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by pro1200 View Post
    I drained the oil from the pump of my '98 GTX and it is a metallic silver color. The pump was completely rebuilt last year and has about 15 hours on it. I use OEM synthetic oil. It looks like the correct amount drained out and the only water I saw was what was trapped in the double wall of the cone. Does this indicate a problem?
    I would say yes... the oil should be dark... and smell like shit
    Last edited by BigDaddyRXP; 10-16-2008 at 09:52 PM.

+1. that stuff stinks!!!!

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

drop a magnet in that stuff

sounds like you'll be in the market for some pump bearings and a shaft too, you have bearing slurry in there, it needs a _major_ cleanout with a gallon of parts washer, a small brush and a whole lot of compressed air.

invest in a pressure vaccum tester when you put it back together to make sure it's not leaking in either direction.

Likely damage started from a rope or rock event. My swag is that one of the thrust washer rollers broke up and got pulverized in the bearing area.

After you get it all back together, run it for ten hours then drain the new oil for an inspection. You can use an oil sucker to pull some out of the housing..if it looks lood then just top it off again.

If your Jet Pump was rebuilt (or needs to be built again),, be double sure the builder presses the Cone Side Needle Bearing +3mm below the Jet Pump body casting upper lip, otherwise, the Jet Pump Cone Oil Reservoir will have no passage for the Oil to get from the Cone side through the center of the Jet Pump to the Impeller Side Needle Bearing, or too small amount Oil will get my to lubricate well enough. The Sea-Doo Bearing installation tool is built to bottom out when used to properly install the Needle Bearing but some techs just use an appropriate diam. socket wrench to tap in the bearing (not a good idea). This can either damage the race of the Bearing or not depress the Bearing past the step in the casting allowing proper lubrication thoughout the Jet Pump, (or both problems)

+1
    nmpeter you are right! I disassembled the unit and found that the thrust bearing assembly had severe damage. The ID of the cage had been rubbing on the stub shaft and I'm sure the bearing elements were worn also. I took the assembly to a dealer and the only thing he could guess was when I did the final assembly (last year) I pinched the cage because it was off center. In any event I don't know what the condition of the bearings are after running in the contaminated oil so I am having new ones pressed in. David_ -the cone side bearing position is a good thing to check and it was correct.

I rebuilt my punp last year. And bought the sea doo tool to install the bearings. Useing a socket just dont cut it. It runins the cage that holds the needle bearings.Buy the tool it will save you the headache.

Thread Information