EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1

Questions on Fuel Tank in bed of truck for transport - Safety?

I want to get like a 50 gallon or so fuel storage container for the bed of my truck. Reason being there's crappy gas on the water by me, and it's $1.00 a gallon more than gas on land... so when i'm filling the tank on my boat 1-2 times per week that holds 60 gallons i can be talking about 50+ bucks saving per tank and getting better fuel.

i have a BedRug in the bed of my truck...

i'm not 100% on understanding the safetys of pumping fuel into a vehicle. I know they always advice against having fuel jugs in the trunk of your car and filling them in your car, they always say to take them out put them on the ground for static and spark reasons or whatever.

Is there a safe way to have a tank in the bed of my truck on top of the BedRug and not worry about blowing myself up at the gas station or on the highway? Polyethylene tank i guess? can the plastic tank interact with the rug at all? can the nozzle at the gas station interact with the fuel or the tank or the bedrug?

I know there's a scientific explanation to this

AND... does anyone know a good place to get a decent sized tank for the bed of a truck for a good price?

Thanks in advance
    STEVE

+1
    Shibby
    Couple things. First the rug creates static charge which is REALLY bad for having a gas tank in there. Best bet would be to remove the carpet and get one of those specially made fuel tanks designed for pickup trucks. You would definately want to ground it to the truck. Most construction pickups have this in the bed. It even has a nozzle. Hope that helps..

+1
    I think as long as the tank is grounded to the truck it will be fine. If you wanted something that looks good, they make a tool box/ fuel tank combo that you could put in the back of your truck.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    i wouldn't want to remove my bedrug...

can i safely put a tank over the bedrug?

i would imagine a polyethylene plastic tank would be way better than getting a metal tank.

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    steve,

check out these sites they should answer you question

http://www.transferflow.com/

http://www.aerotanks.com/veh/trucks.htm

Try industrial rubber matting on top.
    You can get a 4x6 X 3/8 for $60 from a fitness equipment retailer.

Banned User
    Shib,

Everyone of my trucks have a fuel tank in the rear, I've never had a single issue. I bought professionally built battery powered pumps and couldn't be happier, even my guys can work these with no problems Keep in mind that the tank and 50 gallons is gonna be heavy and slow your pick up down and hurt your overall mileage, if you choose to keep the tank in your truck. I hooked mine into the truck tank so they also act as an extended fuel tank for the long rides. I have the 100 gallon in my truck and made it all the way from Ft.Luderdale to Houston with out stopping for fuel..Please see attached photos..

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Shibby1485 View Post
    I want to get like a 50 gallon or so fuel storage container for the bed of my truck. Reason being there's crappy gas on the water by me, and it's $1.00 a gallon more than water on land... so when i'm filling the tank on my boat 1-2 times per week that holds 60 gallons i can be talking about 50+ bucks saving per tank and getting better fuel.

i have a BedRug in the bed of my truck...

i'm not 100% on understanding the safetys of pumping fuel into a vehicle. I know they always advice against having fuel jugs in the trunk of your car and filling them in your car, they always say to take them out put them on the ground for static and spark reasons or whatever.

Is there a safe way to have a tank in the bed of my truck on top of the BedRug and not worry about blowing myself up at the gas station or on the highway? Polyethylene tank i guess? can the plastic tank interact with the rug at all? can the nozzle at the gas station interact with the fuel or the tank or the bedrug?

I know there's a scientific explanation to this

AND... does anyone know a good place to get a decent sized tank for the bed of a truck for a good price?

Thanks in advance
    STEVE
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6589.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	99295   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6590.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	99296   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6591.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	99297  

....back from the dead.... J-ME's Avatar
    +1
    Many states have laws limiting the amount you can carry.

Diesel usually isn't a problem. Gasoline is. From what I am told, in my state you can carry only 20 gal of gasoline in the back of a truck.

Check to be sure.

Thread Information