Thread: 05 R12X

+1

05 R12X

Well, I sold one of my Polaris Matrix and I'm looking to replace it with a solid 4 stroke and the R12x seems to be the one. For 7K it seems perfect. I just can't see spending 14K to get another 5MPH.

The boat is for my wife who just wants to cruise, hit the start button and put pump gas in it.
    I like a few bolt ons and now that some time has passed am wondering what the general concensus is on simple mods.
    The turbo lag bothers me but Liz says it's cool by her...I'd still like to see what can be done to lessen the drastic lag.
    Suggestions, comments...

+1
    I suggest you get the F12X, unless your wife likes a sportier ride. The F12X is a better cruiser, but its a wetter ride easily fixed with a splash defector.

Concerning turbo lag, simply use a manual boost control valve to by-pass the electronic boost control valve. Super Jim has his Alfa Kit available.

I own both but my wife prefers and primarily uses the F12X as it is more stable. Also the R12X's foot wells fill up easily with water which in turn gives the feeling of instability at a stop or slow turn. I love the R12X as i like to play and do "stunts". The wife though very conservative.

Good luck
    Todd

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 1tommygunner1927 View Post
    I suggest you get the F12X, unless your wife likes a sportier ride. The F12X is a better cruiser, but its a wetter ride easily fixed with a splash defector.
    Hmnnn, the extra length of the F is going to make the difference is big water but which feels better during lake cruises?

Concerning turbo lag, simply use a manual boost control valve to by-pass the electronic boost control valve. Super Jim has his Alfa Kit available.
    Interesting, Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by tgarris View Post
    I own both but my wife prefers and primarily uses the F12X as it is more stable. Also the R12X's foot wells fill up easily with water which in turn gives the feeling of instability at a stop or slow turn. I love the R12X as i like to play and do "stunts". The wife though very conservative.
    The foot wells filling even happens during slow 10 MPH turns or at slower speeds?
    I sure prefer the looks of the R over the F but I do want to make sure she's comfy on her treks around the lake.

Good luck
    Todd
    Thanks for the input.

No, once you start moving the water empties out of the foot wells and there are no further issues, but if the ski is not level in the water when you are stopped the water will enter in the foot wells and give the feeling of instability a bit (it wont tip though). Also we like the large storage in the F and the fact that you could tow a tube ect. If I had only one choice it would be without any doubt the F (probably better re-sale as well)

Hope this info helps

Todd, get'n chilly here in Jersey

+1
    Hmmnnn, still deciding, any other input??

Sure. I have a non-turbo F-12 and it's a great ski for just adding gas and pushing start. You may be able to find one at a good price.

Megawatt

Don't post much (a lot of research viewing), but I have an F12X and I have no complaints. I have heard/read that 2 up on the R can get VERY interesting, especially at slow speeds. 2 up on my F gave me a scare while turning around at idle. Mostly due to inexperience, but unsettling none the less. However, with engine shut off I can stand on the outer part of the footwell and not tip it, even jumping off. If she cares to carry a friend (or you), it might not lend itself to be stable at all. The R storage is very limited when compared to the F, and the F can tow. In my totally unprofessional opinion, unless she is continually carving turns and jumping at high speeds (which oddly enough can be done with the F also), I would humbly recommend the F, which can still be had new in the crate from Honda all the way back to an '06 model (non gpscape). I think I got one of the last ones in May. Congrats with whatever you choose.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ph2ocraft View Post
    Hmmnnn, still deciding, any other input??
    The F12X front storage bin will hold 2-24 packs......the R12X will hold a six pack!

Thread Information