Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Air bubbles ?

Air bubbles ?

I just rebuilt the carbs. I've been keeping a close eye on the temps the last few days while testing. Everything has been good SO I went for a longer run today. Not sure what measurment the distance is on the MFD is, but It ran fine out to the inlet which was 1.2
    It was really choopy and I had to go about 20mph most of the way to back to keep from hopping out of the water as much. About 30 minutes of this ruff water and slow speed and the ski just fell flat on it's face and died. I checked and found where a fuel hose had become kinked where I added another fuel filter. Fixed that and thought I was fine, but the ski started to die on me again. I had to feather the gas and choke to keep it running at all. I got to an island and checked the hoses. I noticed I had tons of air bubbles in my new fuel lines? I noticed them appearing just before the filter on the supply line from the tank. I'm guessing it's coming from where the pickup lines attach to the inside of the top of the fuel cap, or the connection on the outside of that cap. Any other ideas?
    I did install the triple outlet fuel pump in the same location as the original. I've read maybe it should be put further down in the boat, but I saw the air bubbles in the supply line from the top of the tank.
    Would these air bubbles cause the ski to run like this? And would feathering the choke that way have helped with the air in the lines? I guess I'll start there, but wanted some advice as I just rebuilt the carbs and am now wondering about the rebuild?

Thanks in advance for all the suggestions guys.

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    The carbs are not the problem. Your fuel pump is sucking air from somewhere. Did you replace the lines in the tank? If so, your bouncing around in the chop may have caused a line to become loose and is pulling in air. Re-check all the lines and clamps including the lines in the tank. How much fuel is in the tank? Have you tried the reserve setting on the fuel cock?

I have replaced all the lines, including the ones in the tank. I will recheck the clamps but I made sure they were really tight. Maybe I over tightened the clamps? I've read about using a different style clamp, maybe from McMasters. I'll check to see what I can find locally.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Are you seeing air bubbles right outside of the tank fitting? Check and make sure you didn't crack the plastic fitting on the sending unit. or maybe overtightened a hose cutting it. And yes if your sucking air,the carbs could be running dry. Did you look at the water seperator and see how full it was when it was stalling?

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Bubbles aren't good. Double check hose clamps, then the hoses and the sender for cracks.

Just for the heck of it, do a compression test.

Checked the sender for cracks and didn't see any. I put on a fresh piece of hose to the inside where the pickup lines attach, blocked the top on the outside with my finger and couldn't get any air to blow through. I figured this means the sender doesn't have any leaks.

I have the spring style clamps on the inside for the pickup lines, as the gear driven clamps seem to get in the way of the threads for the fuel tank cap. I bought the next size down spring clamps and though that would be the fix cause those things are tight, but I still see the air bubbles coming from the hoses right outside the fuel tank. I know the air bubbles aren't good, but not being able to find the air leak is driving me bonkers! Any other ideas?

Xlint, I did a compression test and got the same readings I had when I first got this ski. 100PSI across all three. I know that is lower than it should be, but thought since they were all the same it was okay. What would compression have to do with air bubbles coming from the tank?

The water/fuel seperator is full. It fills with fuel right away. Is that thing only supposed to fill with water?

I did run it on reserve and notice there aren't as many air bubbles, but they are still coming in from just outside the fuel tank either way. It just doesn't make sense.

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    If you see bubbles in the line from the tank, it has to be a bad tank connector or tank fitting, if its not a hose in the tank.
    Xlint was just wanting you to check compression to make sure engine damage from running lean wasn't a problem.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Is it a constant flow of air bubbles, or a few? Sometimes it takes a bit to work all air out of the hoses.

Like Star said, Just wanted to make sure pistons were OK if you are lean because of bubbles.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information