Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

15F Air Actuated Trim Tabs - Spring 09

Developing air actuated trim tabs for the 15f - but the system could be transferred to almost any other ski (with some mods).

aluminum tabs, air cylinders, and a micro switch for actuation. Expect pics of the protptype in 3-4 weeks.

I am hoping to sell the kit close to $450.

see the link for peak powersports setup

Banned User
    +1
    I saw one kinda like that on a South African 15F race boat about a week ago. He had the hydraulic trim tabs, but converted them to run on air, with an air cylinder in the ski. It was trick as hell. Not sure where he got it, but wow, what a difference it made in the ski.

+1
    les cooke runs the air bottle set up on his gti

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    dearman and erminio do as well...... but @ 450 a set, burger johnson's solution just might be more viable

Banned User
    +1
    Can I ask a stupid question?? What exactly do these things do for me on a closed course??

I watched a Les Cooke prepped turbo 15F with these on, and he was just testing, but OMG, when he hit the lever, the ski stopped and turned so fast, it made my arms hurt just to watch.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by iflyems View Post
    Can I ask a stupid question?? What exactly do these things do for me on a closed course??

I watched a Les Cooke prepped turbo 15F with these on, and he was just testing, but OMG, when he hit the lever, the ski stopped and turned so fast, it made my arms hurt just to watch.
    brings the nose down so the boat flat turns more

I don’t know all the rules for each race class, but I believe my current setup is more of a "Limited" boat…Region8….Would this mod put a ski into the OPEN class?
    I know this is for a 15F, but I would assume it could be used for a 250x as well. TBM has just released a ride plate/trim combo. It's pretty slick, as the trim tabs are built into the ride plate. The cost is ~380.00 for this, and it includes the ride plate, and auto trim tab….The second part is coming out in a few weeks according to Tim himself, and this will be a manual trim system. I saw it at the WF's, its pretty cool, I just don’t know which would be a better setup for my style of riding. In Tims testing, he mentioned to me that at speed, he was able to hit the manual trim without much effort.
    NJ.. The video does not work….Also, can you keep us updated frequently, I'm this close to dumping my cash into the TBM rideplate, but I have a little research to do before I do that. I guess your's wont be out for a while though. Are you with Peak Powersports? I thought I recalled a 15F a while back, green one, was supposed to be wicked fast. Was that you guys? I could be wrong…
    BTW….Air acutuated is what Harvey and team were using, and I believe I have seen somewhere on here that Zapata also uses that. Does this make squeezing the lever much easier than a regular mechanical trim tab setup?

Thanks

Oh, and not to get off topic, BUT…..For a 250x, since the nose rides so low in the water already, are trim tabs really needed? I guess it working more of just a brake to go WOT into the turns, and breaking at the last second…Carry more speed into a turn, instead of letting up way before the turn, and just milking it into a turn. I'd take the break action personally…Hence the reason the TBM plate sounds good to me, just don’t know how effective it will be.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubz1 View Post
    I don’t know all the rules for each race class, but I believe my current setup is more of a "Limited" boat…Region8….Would this mod put a ski into the OPEN class?
    I know this is for a 15F, but I would assume it could be used for a 250x as well. TBM has just released a ride plate/trim combo. It's pretty slick, as the trim tabs are built into the ride plate. The cost is ~380.00 for this, and it includes the ride plate, and auto trim tab….The second part is coming out in a few weeks according to Tim himself, and this will be a manual trim system. I saw it at the WF's, its pretty cool, I just don’t know which would be a better setup for my style of riding. In Tims testing, he mentioned to me that at speed, he was able to hit the manual trim without much effort.
    NJ.. The video does not work….Also, can you keep us updated frequently, I'm this close to dumping my cash into the TBM rideplate, but I have a little research to do before I do that. I guess your's wont be out for a while though. Are you with Peak Powersports? I thought I recalled a 15F a while back, green one, was supposed to be wicked fast. Was that you guys? I could be wrong…
    BTW….Air acutuated is what Harvey and team were using, and I believe I have seen somewhere on here that Zapata also uses that. Does this make squeezing the lever much easier than a regular mechanical trim tab setup?

Thanks

yea, the air actuated runs of a microswitch so if you can tap a keyboard, you can operate the trim.... i think trim tabs are legal in ltd. class.... i need to check.... i know you can run a pump and auto drop in ltd. so i don't see why you couldn;t run them in ltd.

so, no lever, just a switch? I remember zapata had a switch, lil black one on the left side of his bars. I dont recall Harvey's though..I've NEVER used or tried any kind of trim system for CC racing, I can't imagine a switch would be the easiest to hit with so much going on during a race. Sounds like it would be a little tough, compared to the current clutch like levers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information