Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How to Winterize 1999 1200xlt waverunner

Hello All, I have a 99 XLT1200 and need to winterize it. I am familar with all the concepts etc. I fog my boats all the time. However on the waverunner there is no port to inject the fogging oil and getting the carbs under the exhaust looks like a nightmare. Does anyone know how to get the fogging oil in the cabrs without having to remove the exhaust? The air intake is under it as well. Thanks for the advice!!!!

well it looks like i can get to the air intake duct. I believe i can squirt the fogging oil in here.......am i on the right track?

Well now i found this:

Some skis such as the Yamaha powervalve 1200's have no access, and you are not able to fog the motor properly, you must pour a heavy amount of oil down the plug holes and bump the motor over several times to distribute it as best you can. After fogging is complete, put 1oz of two-stroke oil into each spark plug hole and bump the motor over a few times.

This very well sounds like it could be the case for this ski. Just not sure what they mean by powervalve. Also is he referring to placing a a heavy amount of fogging oil in the cylinders? Sounds like it.....i do put some fogging oil in my cylinders on my outboards.

If you have a 99 it should be an XL1200Ltd with the powervalve motor. Powervalve motor=carbs out of sight and horrible catalytic converter . From what you posted it does seem as though you are supposed to fog cylinders and then pour oil in the cylinders. I also have a 99 XL1200Ltd and would like confirmation on this. I know that I will fog through the plug holes but I don't know if I should follow up with 2 stroke oil.

BTW since you aren't familiar with powervalve motors you really need to install "Waveeater" clips on those p-valves because when they decide to drop hard parts into the cylinders your motor WILL experience severe damage.

Quote Originally Posted by antsws6ta View Post
    Well now i found this:

Some skis such as the Yamaha powervalve 1200's have no access, and you are not able to fog the motor properly, you must pour a heavy amount of oil down the plug holes and bump the motor over several times to distribute it as best you can. After fogging is complete, put 1oz of two-stroke oil into each spark plug hole and bump the motor over a few times.

This very well sounds like it could be the case for this ski. Just not sure what they mean by powervalve. Also is he referring to placing a a heavy amount of fogging oil in the cylinders? Sounds like it.....i do put some fogging oil in my cylinders on my outboards.

Thanks for the reply and yes it is 99 xl1200 ltd. I believe I am on the right track on winterizing this thing i just wish i could get some confirmation for some other people. As far as the "Waveeater" clips I'll have to do a little research but if it prolongs the motor life i'm all for it. I've got 85 hours I think on it so I'd like to keep it around for a while. Also as far as the 2stroke also going into each cylinder, the manual says the same thing. So next weekend i'm gonna fog each cylinder for about 30 seconds and also do the 2 stroke in each cylinder. Worse case scenerio is the plugs just get to fouled i'm thinkin.

Quote Originally Posted by antsws6ta View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I believe I am on the right track on winterizing this thing. As far as the "Waveeater" clips I'll have to do a little research but if it prolongs the motor life i'm all for it. I've got 85 hours I think on it so I'd like to keep it around for a while.
    You definately need to install them. While you are at it get a D-plate and remove that catalytic converter.

actually the cat rotted out and just had to get the D-plate. Found that out the hard way and had to get towed in. Took the exhaust apart and saw the cat just rolling around in there!!!!

just order the waveater clips and couplers....this ski is freakin me out. I should have done more research on it. Seems like it has the potential for a lot of problems. Looks like I have to take the exhaust off again now to install these. What a pain!!

No mate, just take the 3 pv access caps off, push the clips on till they go "click!!!"

then the couplers, just replace the 2 old ones with the new ones you get.

once you have them in your hand you'll see how simple they are

as for problems with this model....nope, problems are inherited by purchasing any jet ski, they are all a PIA but the ride is worth it

Thanks Bren. The ski is at a different location so I'll have a better idea of how tough this is when I can get to it this weekend. I just have a feeling the PV access caps aren't accessable unless you remove part of the exhaust. Maybe not but I looked at some pictures and it sure looks like that's what i have to do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information