Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Sonic 31SS

Sonic 31SS

Just bought this '03 Sonic 31SS a few weeks ago. It's a tank compared to my old 20' Baja. I already had it airborne off a cruiser wake and the landing was nice and soft. The wife and I look forward to many long weekends on the river with it next year. It has a head, fridge, and even heat/air conditioning. The best part is 850HP worth of 496HO's!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	first_run.jpg 
Views:	389 
Size:	138.9 KB 
ID:	99573   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sonic_engines.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	99574   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sonic_drives.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	99575   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sonic_vberth.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	99576  
    Attached Files Attached Files

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by '02GPRider View Post
    Just bought this '03 Sonic 31SS a few weeks ago. It's a tank compared to my old 20' Baja. I already had it airborne off a cruiser wake and the landing was nice and soft. The wife and I look forward to many long weekends on the river with it next year. It has a head, fridge, and even heat/air conditioning. The best part is 850HP worth of 496HO's!
    How many years until you can afford the second mortgage needed to fuel that thing?

+1
    DAYUM !!! Talk about SWEET !!!

+1
    wow that thing is badass... good luck

Very nice. Sonic makes a really nice powerboat. A friend ordered the 35 with the 500 EFI, and it was really nice. Pretty fast too, or so I thought. He didn't think so and worked out a deal with the factory (the previous owner of Sonic) to take is 35 on trade for a new boat. He custom spec'ed a 38. Standard hull and molded components, but the paint and vinyl was all custom that he and his wife designed. Boat also has custom Innovation Marine 800 HP V8s. The Innovations are pretty cool engines. Normally aspirated but with 800 hp and a fat torque curve. Innovtion mostly builds race engines and mil-spec engines for the Navy and US Customs. His are hybrid civilian and mil-spec. Like I said, interesting engines. Originally they were coupled to Imco / Max Machine Worx drives. But Innovation's torque was crushing the gears and breaking shafts.

Those are supposed to be straight splines. But the engine twisted the end of the shaft and tore the end off of what you see that remained. We were cruising @ 3,000 RPM in flat water when that occurred. I was right behind the helmsman and remember the conditions.

The boat's been re-rigged with Konrad drives, but now needs new props. Fortunately the Konrads can take the torque. Can't wait to see what the new props will do. There's a lot of performance in those hulls. And since the bottoms aren't stepped, they handle without quirks. Nothing scarier than kiting a cat or blowing out a turn on a two-step hull.

I meet a few of the old-time Sonic factory workers. Some of those guys remember every boat that ran though the factory. Most of them aren't with the new owner, which is too bad. Seemed like everyone there lived fast boats. BTW, if you want to go faster and have the money, you might want to talk to Doller Offshore Marine in Hollywood, Florida. They worked pretty closely with Sonic for several years and know how to get a few more knots out of the boats.

Best regards,
    Frank C

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    if i can get the wad up, i am buying this one day

http://www.turbinemarine.com/

can run on diesel and make power. gotta love turbines

Hopefully gas stays down for ya....lol. Otherwise gas will cost as much as the boat

Quote Originally Posted by FC3 View Post
    I meet a few of the old-time Sonic factory workers. Some of those guys remember every boat that ran though the factory. Most of them aren't with the new owner, which is too bad. Seemed like everyone there lived fast boats. BTW, if you want to go faster and have the money, you might want to talk to Doller Offshore Marine in Hollywood, Florida. They worked pretty closely with Sonic for several years and know how to get a few more knots out of the boats.

Best regards,
    Frank C
    Thanks for the tip. I'm going to the Miami boat show in Feb. I'll look them up.

nice boat i would like to move up from my baja 245 one day

I added a lot of boat bling over the winter. Come on summer!

GPS speedo to scare the wife. I did give her a nice billet grab handle, though.

Custom-made billet steps

Locking fuel fills

To meet the stringent 84dB noise level in MN, I had to add mufflers and custom turn-downs. This also required a custom-made tie bar setup to clear the pipes.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information