Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

200 hrs - change valves or head gasket?

I have very close to 200 hours on my 2005 RXP, mods in signature. Ran great all year long, but since I am down for the winter, would it make sense to put in new valves or a new head gasket? Not looking forward to doing it, but would rather do it over the winter if needed ... input? Summer is so short in Michigan I try to do all reliability upgrades over the winter (did the flywheel bolts last winter among other things).

valves

Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    I have very close to 200 hours on my 2005 RXP, mods in signature. Ran great all year long, but since I am down for the winter, would it make sense to put in new valves or a new head gasket? Not looking forward to doing it, but would rather do it over the winter if needed ... input? Summer is so short in Michigan I try to do all reliability upgrades over the winter (did the flywheel bolts last winter among other things).

i am doing valves this winter too many scary stories about the 04 -05 valves being prone to failure.

+1
    If you are running high boost you want solid exhaust valves. The 03-06 are hollow gas filled and will eventually fail especially if you run on the rev limiter.
    Big cams and high rev ecu tend to hurt intake valves. Strongest lighest is a good approach.

+1
    What about timing chain? when is good time to replace these

+1
    Anybody? I am still debating about head gasket & timing chain replacement ... it does seem that most timing chain failures follow ceramic washers going thru the motor. If I do pull the head I will do valves and head gasket, just not sure if it is worth doing with my hours and setup. I have had the motor out, but have not taken the head off, is it a big/nasty job?

+1
    Anybody? I am still debating about head gasket & timing chain replacement ... it does seem that most timing chain failures follow ceramic washers going thru the motor. If I do pull the head I will do valves and head gasket, just not sure if it is worth doing with my hours and setup. I have had the motor out, but have not taken the head off, is it a big/nasty job?
    its obviously your $$$$$ Vern but if i went to that kind of trouble i would do the chain, valves and the head gasket just for piece of mind with that many hours on the motor.....throw a port job on that head too...good luck!

I don't think its bad at all. Just make sure you un tighten the head bolts opposite of the tightening sequence. If i were you i would replace the whole deal maybe even get a head job done while its off. Valves, head gasket, Valve guide seals, ect...

Its like changing the timing belt on a car, you might as well change the water pump even though its not bad while your in there just to be done with it.

I have an 04 and modding it

I am putting new valves and headgasket , I have 140hrs

I seen engines with exhaust valves dropping here on 04/05, beleive me you dont want to know !!! SO PLEASE CHANGE THE VALVES !!!

+1
    My summers are very short, so I prefer to do work like this over the winter. My main question was whether I tear it down even tho it is running great ... if I do, I will replace the valves, deck the head, new head gasket, etc. The camchain too if I can get that off without tearing the motor all apart. It sounds like it might be smarter to do this now rather than run it another summer and see if I have any issues ...

Banned User
    +1
    Just clicked 150 on my 04 yeaterday...it looks like it will be coming out this winter...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information