Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Going to try and remove oxidation from hull..i've got questions

so im going to attempt to remove the oxidation on the outter hull since the previous owner never kept it covered and now is faded. I was told to use a buffer to get the original yellow color to come back. my question is do i need to use any kind of polish or rubbing compound???

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Gel coat is very soft, compared to paint. I'd go to an automotive paint store, tell the person what you are doing and he'll sell you some very fine polishing compound. I'd do it by hand, as the buffer can damage and gouge the gel coat very quickly.

I'd go get some 3m perfect it 3000 rubbing compound. Here in NY, Napa stores carry it in small bottles (you don't to spend the money on a quart unless you plan on doing a bunch of ski's). Use this first and then use 3m machine glaze afterwards. Since the ski is yellow, the glaze should clean up any swirl marks. If you ever do a darker ski, you need to use 3m finesse-it polish between compound and glaze.

Just a warning- Unless you have a good amount of experience w/ a polisher, take 96xpss' advice, and do it by hand. However- with gelcoat, the oxidation tends to go pretty deep, so it might take you a really long time to get through it by hand.

You could bring it to a local detailer- a good auto detailer will be able to do ski's as well. I used to run a shop and we detailed ski's for around $100 depending on how bad it was. That's in the Hampton's though, most shops would probably charge you about $75 or less to polish it all out and wax it. Should take around an hour (most shops charge around $50/hr for detailing.

Use the heat gun trick to renew your plastics once the paint shines.

Depending on how bad it is, you might want to use an orbital 5in buffer and fine grit polishing compound. I just did this, mine was pretty bad. It took about 4 hours in total with the buffer to get the bike to shine again. I used 3m color restore and Maguires polish.

+1
    If it's really bad try wet sanding with 2000 grit then progressively lighter cuts of polishing compounds. I did this on a white ski which is a very forgiving colour to work with, I wouldn't feel comfortable doing this on darker colours. Worked great when I brought my GSI back from the graveyard.

I read on another forum that someone used McGuires (spelling?) polishing compound with a small (cheap) buffer after he removed his decals. It came out pretty awesome. Maybe give that a try...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by GatorKev View Post
    I read on another forum that someone used McGuires (spelling?) polishing compound with a small (cheap) buffer after he removed his decals. It came out pretty awesome. Maybe give that a try...
    this is the way i've been thinking of going...I will keep everyone up to date, i should be able to get most of it done by the end of the weekend since some snow showers are forcasted already for early next week

Talking

Here are a cpl shots of the top half of mine using the methods I described earlier. I forgot to upload in the post above and it wouldn't let me edit/upload so here ya go.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00360.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	100418   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00361.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	100419   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00362.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	100420  

V-Tec, 4-Tech that's how I roll meirvin's Avatar
    +1
    looking good

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information