+1

Dual air intake set up ?

Knowing how well this motor likes to breath I came up with this 4" air intake set up.

Reversed the through hull fittings then opened up under the cowlings. The hose is just the OEM GPR hose. I plan to use something a little more rigid (Kanaflex) after the 90 degree bend and to the S/C.

The Y fitting is 4" lightwieght platic used for dust collection. The steering fits right in the middle of the Y. I am pretty sure I can use the one of the holes from the Power Valve bracket underneath to secure the Y and then just rivet some kind of strap where the 90 will be.

Anyone think it is to open or in other words to easy to ingest water ? No question this ski will be used in rough water.

Do I need any other kind of ventilation for the fumes ? I know the RXP guys like the flow rites and I have a couple I could use under the cowlings or the sides of the seat. I also have some flow rite material to use on the backside of the Y to act as a filter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00591.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	2.78 MB 
ID:	99779   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00593.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	2.71 MB 
ID:	99780   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00594.JPG 
Size:	2.70 MB 
ID:	99781  

Greenhulk Grasshopah (DRC) HallPass's Avatar
    +1
    well,

my opinion..

I do not think it will really get too much water in that the gab between your hull and cowel is not really that big. No doubt will you be getting air in there easy, and the twin was a great idea..

I think the only time there will be need for concern is if the boat were to flip upside down..

The GPR had those vents before on the stock engine, and really you didn't get much water down there.. even if water splashed in. At least I didn't...

Also, vents..

I know RXP guys put the vents on the side sort of by the footwells or under the handelbar..

Mrbtd I wouldn't.. I Would do:

Hood/Bucket
    Seat (on either side)
    cutting the cowel so they are the same on both side..

just the normal GPR vents..

+1
    The GPR is a very, very wet hull. The inlets WILL bring in a fair amount of water, if the ski is ridden hard, cornered hard, etc...

So, if all you do is back it in the water, run in a straight line, and don't get any water over the top deck, you'll be fine....if not, you will have some very stranged shaped valves in the future.

Crazy A has been building me a water/air seperator box that can sit in front of the engine behind the fuel tank. It "might" be listed in the blackbird thread somewhere. Basically it consist of a large box, with a opening at the bottom, with baffles inside. There are 3 4" connectors. The top one goes to the SC or turbo. The 2 bottom ones go to the side vents. The theory, is to bring in the water/air, and dump the water out the bottom, while allowing the air to go up to the intake hose.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbtd View Post
    Knowing how well this motor likes to breath I came up with this 4" air intake set up.

Reversed the through hull fittings then opened up under the cowlings. The hose is just the OEM GPR hose. I plan to use something a little more rigid (Kanaflex) after the 90 degree bend and to the S/C.

The Y fitting is 4" lightwieght platic used for dust collection. The steering fits right in the middle of the Y. I am pretty sure I can use the one of the holes from the Power Valve bracket underneath to secure the Y and then just rivet some kind of strap where the 90 will be.

Anyone think it is to open or in other words to easy to ingest water ? No question this ski will be used in rough water.

Do I need any other kind of ventilation for the fumes ? I know the RXP guys like the flow rites and I have a couple I could use under the cowlings or the sides of the seat. I also have some flow rite material to use on the backside of the Y to act as a filter.
    dont do this! you will flood your engine with water in a heart beat. in a normal gpr those hoses are directed to the bottom of the hull for a reason.

If you employed the water to air seperator, it sure would breathe well with a 4" running down each side of the hull, coming to a T at the S/C... I may see what I can work out on that.

+1
    Thanks for sharing guys.. I went ahead and swapped the fittings back and decided to use them for ventilation rather than intake.

Rather than re-invent the wheel I am going to just run a 4" up front using the PV holes to hold the bracket for a filter.

+1
    You would have found some unique interference issues with the intake and steering too.

+1
    You dog, I knew you were up to something. Start a thread on your build and share it with us.

+1
    After re-looking at this on the spitfire,

There is no way this would work on the right side looking forward. Due to interference issues with the steering. However on the left side looking forward this is doable. I must stress that this setup is for silky smooth water...no water over the nose of the craft type of riding. On the spitfire, I plan on running canaflex hose from the left hand side air vent straight to the super charger. This will supply plenty of fresh air. For rough water riding I will remove a small section of canaflex and add a large filter with a water sock. This should provide sufficient flow to the super charger and be safe from water intrusion. Ill post some pics of the setup once I get them both done.

+1
    The safe set up. Cold air directed to the back of the ski. Outer wears installed over air vent. Large K&N filter installed with outer wears.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_2988.JPG 
Size:	207.1 KB 
ID:	100867   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_2987.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	240.9 KB 
ID:	100868   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_2984.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	218.9 KB 
ID:	100869   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_2982.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	211.8 KB 
ID:	100870   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_2981.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	209.9 KB 
ID:	100874  

Thread Information