Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
  1. #1

    Question New engine leaks at case halves

    I bet there's no easy way to go about getting it to seal is there? Spent all day chasing it, kept thinking it was the reeds block off plate. Just when I was about to toss in the wrench I finally saw my soap solution foaming away just below the reeds along the case halves.

    Anyone got any tricks for this? It's just one little section that's not sealing. other wise tomorrow I'll start tearing it apart. I hate re-working stuff, even though I know it'll be perfect when done.

    Kelvin


  2. #2
    bummer! what did u seal the halves with?
    and good job doing a pressure test!

  3. #3
    WATER WOODY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Minden, Nevada, United States
    Posts
    10,664
    +1
    10
    Make sure the dowl pins on the crank are in the notches in the case.
    Case halves must be super clean when you put them back together.Did you use 3Bond 1211? What did you torque the cases to? Did you torque the cases in 2 stages?

  4. #4
    Someone else did the bottom for me and I did the topend. I should've just done it myself but I was trying to save time. Atleast it was caught before it ruined some $$$$ parts.

    You can be sure I'll be using 3bond 1211. I honestly can't say what was used before. Live and learn I guess

    KM

  5. #5
    well you know what they say about ( if u want it done right ?)
    anyway you will know it's torqued and sealed properly this way! and you and just flip it and pull the halves apart without pulling the cylinders

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
    well you know what they say about ( if u want it done right ?)
    anyway you will know it's torqued and sealed properly this way! and you and just flip it and pull the halves apart without pulling the cylinders
    So just flip it and fix it that's good information. I would've torn it all apart. Do use a stand or cradle of some sort?

  7. #7
    I would rig up something to hold it , some 2x4 blocks etc , beats pulling it all down for sure! .

  8. #8
    Moderator RX951's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    League City, Texas
    Posts
    16,126
    +1
    22

    Post

    as mentioned above:

    • Make sure the case halves are clean
    • Remove all the old sealant [whatever it is]
    • Use Acetone to thoroughly clean up the surface of any contaminants
    • clean all bolt threads on a wire wheel to remove any thread sealer/loctite
    • chase all threads in the case half to remove any thread sealer/loctite
    • check and make sure all the dowel locator pins are in and all the way installed.
    • Use 3-bond 1211 to assemble the case(s)
    • Torque to specified torque setting per service manual
    • Allow to sit 24 hours to dry very well.
    • Test for leaks by performing engine pressure test techniques

  9. #9
    Moderator OsideBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    11,883
    +1
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by RX951 View Post
    as mentioned above:

    • Make sure the case halves are clean
    • Remove all the old sealant [whatever it is]
    • Use Acetone to thoroughly clean up the surface of any contaminants
    • clean all bolt threads on a wire wheel to remove any thread sealer/loctite
    • chase all threads in the case half to remove any thread sealer/loctite
    • check and make sure all the dowel locator pins are in and all the way installed.
    • Use 3-bond 1211 to assemble the case(s)
    • Torque to specified torque setting per service manual
    • Allow to sit 24 hours to dry very well.
    • Test for leaks by performing engine pressure test techniques
    +1 on this

    a few other tips
    • Grease the seals with a good quality marine grease. make sure it is packed in the internal grooves.
    • Put the 1211 sealant on with with latex gloves, just get a light coat on both halves of the case. Too much and it can be a mess.
    • I also seal around the outside of the seals with 1211 some people frown on this but I have never had one leak.
    • I followed Fernandos assemby guide and it has always done me right.
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showpost...59&postcount=1

  10. #10
    WAVEATER WAVEATER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    LAKE DUBAY WISCONSIN
    Posts
    236
    +1
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by OsideBill View Post
    +1 on this


    a few other tips
    • Grease the seals with a good quality marine grease. make sure it is packed in the internal grooves.
    • Put the 1211 sealant on with with latex gloves, just get a light coat on both halves of the case. Too much and it can be a mess.
    • I also seal around the outside of the seals with 1211 some people frown on this but I have never had one leak.
    • I followed Fernandos assemby guide and it has always done me right.
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showpost...59&postcount=1
    +1 on this, i have seen seals leak as well, i always run a bead of 1211 around the seals when doing the case halves. a quick easy check after she's up and running is to spray WD40 around the case halves seam, if theirs a leak the motor will pick up in RPM's. this is also a good way to find a leak that you suspect to begin with. I also do this test again after a half hour of running to insure that the 1211 has maintained a good seal. works great on all two strokes, sleds, wheelers, whatever.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Engine Rebuild - New everything, leaking at rear seals.
    By override in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-13-2016, 08:45 AM
  2. Max 4000 RMP after "new" engine
    By bgaidan in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 08-03-2008, 11:02 PM
  3. Saw the new RXP's at the boat show
    By VOODOO in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-12-2007, 12:17 PM
  4. New Engine
    By wavehummer in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-28-2006, 08:24 PM
  5. seadoo gsx with 951 engine bogging at 35 or 40 mph
    By slamcharger in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-06-2006, 08:11 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •