Steps for Switching to Pre-Mix?

I have a 99 XL760 and want to switch to pre-mix. Can I just disconnect the oil line to the pump and block it off?

I am guessing its not that simple but I can't see why this would not work.

If my idea is really no good, what are the steps to doing it the official way?

thanks for any and all replies!

I usually fill up the tank, add the premix ratio oil to the known full tank
    ( draining the tank and adding premix from a can is better but not always practical) value and then run it for a while to get the premix circulated , then pull the pump and put a home made block off plate were the pump was and cap the old premix lines then I usually turn the carb needles up a little to compensate for the oil displacing the fuel

ps on the 760 if you drain the oil tank you need to zip tie the floats up or short the leads from the sender to keep the warning alarms off

I don't know what the correct procedure really is, but I just took my oil tank off. Used a paperclip to jump the wires so the warning buzzer wouldn't go off. Plugged the nipples on the carbs where the oil lines ran into. I didn't even get a block off I just left the pump on there and connected the ouput lines to the intake line.

Thank you both for your replies!

Yes, I wondered if a guy could just leave the pump in place but disconnected. Anyone know of dangers in doing this? My preference is it just leave the pump bolted on, not if its risky though.

leaving the pump can be done , it's just not the correct way! your leaving a moving part on your engine that has no use and can have issues , but not likley

tweaking carbs after premix conversion

How much tweaking needs to be done to the carbs (hi and low) after the conversion?

1/4 turn, etc? I can't seem to find the sweet spot on my 94 raider since I did mine...

whats the issue? usually you tweak the highs just to save from a lean issue at WOT you shouldn't really notice a difference in the way she runs

It bogs down significantly at wide open. And at idle the ski was dying until I opened the lower up some as well (1/4 turn).

Now if I let it idle she dies (I think its flooding cause I have to crank for a little with the throttle full open) but runs fine at full throttle. I have to take back out and turn in the lower adjustment. I know its practice but I didn't think it would be so precise of an adjustment.

Does anyone know off the top of their head what the factory settings are in terms of turns out? Its a stock ski I rebuilt and converted so the oil pump doesn't die on me.

Quote Originally Posted by jeeprunnr View Post
    It bogs down significantly at wide open. And at idle the ski was dying until I opened the lower up some as well (1/4 turn).

Now if I let it idle she dies (I think its flooding cause I have to crank for a little with the throttle full open) but runs fine at full throttle. I have to take back out and turn in the lower adjustment. I know its practice but I didn't think it would be so precise of an adjustment.

Does anyone know off the top of their head what the factory settings are in terms of turns out? Its a stock ski I rebuilt and converted so the oil pump doesn't die on me.
    I think your carbs need gone thru! it isn't this big of a deal to switch over normally! How was it running before? I will find your stock settings Z

Thread Information