Don't knock the Rotax Racing ECU, it still has its good points!

We give the RR ECU a bad name because it ignores the knock sensor, but it you have to admit, it sure is convenient. I love that it will run just about no matter what code its throwing! Running with any lanyard is nice, I just have one strapped on all my vests. You can swap displays in and out, it doesn't care. You'll never get stuck because of a sensor failure! haha. But it is defiantly only for people who understand the workings of their ski completely, as it will ride its advanced timing curve detonating itself to death right off into the sunset.

I was just thinking about ECU's today, and thought I'd mention some of my experience with it, that people may not know. Even with the programmable ECU coming out, they retain OEM functions in this matter from what I know?

I have the 4501 rotax racing ecu, and couldn't be happier. I had nils do my head with the new ferrea valves,springs, etc. and my ski loves to run 8300 all day long... justy make sure you run good gas... I'll have to admit the first time I saw the red flashing light I was worried.. it was only the rev limiter! I have a friend who has a nearly stock boat with the same ecu and it has close to 200 hours on it. I think this ignition gets a bad name from not having knock control... mine was a 2004 w/o the knock sensor update done anyhow so what' the difference right???

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by spinyard View Post
    I have the 4501 rotax racing ecu, and couldn't be happier. I had nils do my head with the new ferrea valves,springs, etc. and my ski loves to run 8300 all day long... justy make sure you run good gas... I'll have to admit the first time I saw the red flashing light I was worried.. it was only the rev limiter! I have a friend who has a nearly stock boat with the same ecu and it has close to 200 hours on it. I think this ignition gets a bad name from not having knock control... mine was a 2004 w/o the knock sensor update done anyhow so what' the difference right???
    No safety margin, feel lucky

u mean it's not safe? i guess that's why we build backup motors right?

fabrication guru rapidacceleration's Avatar
    +1
    i love mine

going on my 3rd year running the conversion @ 8400, hasn't popped a motor yet

its nice not to have a special landyard to start it to.
    or have to run 50lbs injectors.. 42's in mine with a perfect AF on the gauge

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    built a back in the day rotax racing stage 1 kit for a customer (RR IC, RR ECU) along with a riva stage 2 wheel and air intake and thru-hull exhaust

customer has been pounding the living crap out of the ski since late 2005... and i mean pounding on it. guy has tens of millions, has 4 skis, 3 boats, jet boat... he's wreckless with his stuff. at any given moment his wear ring is borderline wrecked, he bangs the rev limiter out of the hole all day and weighs 300+ lbs

he does idle or he does WOT... thats it

he's running totally stock valvetrain for 3 years now turning 8400 rpms at WOT.... but hits the rev limiter 100 times each day between boat waves, and jumping and never letting off the gas, and a crappy holeshot that bangs the limiter

i always loved the ECU myself also.. no BS, no activation gimmicks, 4 little blts and 2 connectrs and it's instant power... huge instant difference

I actually got this one from shibby, it rips! (thanks again) That's what sold me on it was I also have a friend who is wreckless and doesn't pay attention to **** while he's riding, and this ecu has been in his boat from day one...i also like the no bs /lanyard/program...

+1
    I'll have a 2004-2005 rotax Race ECU f/s after it gets back from Europe from resetting it. She'll be completely virgin and ready to mate with your throttle body. Any takers?

Gotta love this sport! 05Limited's Avatar
    +1
    Also, the RR ECU makes a noticeable difference even without pitching for higher rpm. I can't really say that the Riva shows much of an enhancement unless the rpm is jacked up... but this is just what I've experienced

I agree, the performance gain throughout the RPM range is very noticeable, although I don't have a Riva to compare it to, so hard to say if there's alot of difference.

Thread Information