RESPECT
    +1

Question Y is it reving???

When I put my ski on the lift the other day, I was flushing it out and I turned the fuel switch to off and after about 15 seconds it started reving really high. I pinched the water hose then shut it off real quick because it was at like 4K rpms. Y is it doing that? Y doesnt it just shut off?

Its an 01 gp1200r

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    That makes it run lean at idle, if you hit the throttle is will usally fall on its face...
    sadley it doesnt evan run the gas out the carbs,,it just vapor locks what gas is in there ,not letting much go thru the jets -hence the lean condition..
    i turn my fuel off after i am done flushing(thats a lie) i just blast the throttle a bunch of times then turn the fuel off
    a couple of my pennys for ya
    mattman

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by KEYZBUM View Post
    That makes it run lean at idle, if you hit the throttle is will usally fall on its face...
    sadley it doesnt evan run the gas out the carbs,,it just vapor locks what gas is in there ,not letting much go thru the jets -hence the lean condition..
    i turn my fuel off after i am done flushing(thats a lie) i just blast the throttle a bunch of times then turn the fuel off
    mattman
    At clean out. When and after i shut mine down after i pull the key full throttle to coat everything with fresh fuel.

+1

Thumbs up Same Problem

I have an 01 GPR and had same issue. I had it narrowed down to two thing an air leak or carbs. In my case the carbs needed cleaning. It was mainly the first carb (closest to front of ski) I believe it sucked in some salt water and found some inside and the filter in the carb was pretty much clogged. Hope this helps...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by YOUNGGUNZ403 View Post
    When I put my ski on the lift the other day, I was flushing it out and I turned the fuel switch to off and after about 15 seconds it started reving really high. I pinched the water hose then shut it off real quick because it was at like 4K rpms. Y is it doing that? Y doesnt it just shut off?

Its an 01 gp1200r
    Check The cable from the throttle to the carbs? Is it starting to fall apart? butterflyies sticking? Or a minor leak in the main carb gasket?Been on and off to many times? Just a thought Thanks Lee

RESPECT
    +1
    I dont even mess with the throttle. All I did was let it run for about 30 sec. then turn the gas off then about 15 sec later it starts to rev. then shut it off. I turned it back on then back to off and it reved up again. I dont think it has anything to do with the throttle.

+1
    You leaned the motor out when you shut the fuel off,dont do that.Turn the fuel off after the motor is off.Here is something i always do after i ride.I spray fogging oil in each cylinder,i just pull the plugs out.I think it allows an easier start the next time out.It keeps the rotating parts oiled when sitting JMO.

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by YOUNGGUNZ403 View Post
    I dont even mess with the throttle. All I did was let it run for about 30 sec. then turn the gas off then about 15 sec later it starts to rev. then shut it off. I turned it back on then back to off and it reved up again. I dont think it has anything to do with the throttle.
    Ok sounds fine ,,,,just turn the fuel off after you kill the motor after proper flushing
    i do the same as L Carlson and give it full throttle as i hit the kill button ,coating what i can with oily gas
    mattman
    EDIT-dam i type slow lol

+1

Unhappy Running Lean

Quote Originally Posted by KEYZBUM View Post
    mattman
    Keyzbum is correct...I do not have my off or reserve on my ski so when my started to glow plug it was a different issue, sorry for the mis information...

Thread Information