Thread: 951 engine

951 engine

ok i have a 98 seadoo gsx limited with a 951 in it. The engine is locked up, and i have pulled the engine and completly stripped the jet ski for cleaning and inpections. I am looking at getting a new engine but should i put a 951 back in it? Is there any swap worth doing to make more power with out modding anything else or is the 951 good? also what kind of impeller and drive unit would be better than stock. Thanks

If the hull and all other in parts are in decent shape and you really like the ski, you should consider a genuine Rotax rebuilt 947 (951). These rebuilt engines are brought back to factory OE standards with genuine Rotax parts. I have installed them in many customers skis and I have yet to have a problem or complaint. They are a little more expensive than most of the aftermarket rebuilt motors, but, in my opinion, well worth it.
    Robert V

+1
    just out of curiostity, is it at all possible to put a 4-tec into a older 951 model ski? it was one of my daydreams at work today to put a 4-tec into a 98 xpl or 95 xp.

don't mean to hijack your thread spirtus sancti

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by mibunkerking View Post
    just out of curiostity, is it at all possible to put a 4-tec into a older 951 model ski? it was one of my daydreams at work today to put a 4-tec into a 98 xpl or 95 xp.

don't mean to hijack your thread spirtus sancti
    One guy on here has already done it. Doo a search. I think he went 75 when the 4Tec was stock 215 HP.

Quote Originally Posted by s/d-daddy View Post
    If the hull and all other in parts are in decent shape and you really like the ski, you should consider a genuine Rotax rebuilt 947 (951). These rebuilt engines are brought back to factory OE standards with genuine Rotax parts. I have installed them in many customers skis and I have yet to have a problem or complaint. They are a little more expensive than most of the aftermarket rebuilt motors, but, in my opinion, well worth it.
    Robert V
    do you know what website or where i can get one? is there a four stroke that i could cange to or should i stay with the 951

Quote Originally Posted by spiritus_sancti View Post
    do you know what website or where i can get one? is there a four stroke that i could cange to or should i stay with the 951
    Id imagine the 4 stroke motor is somewhat heavier, and if its anything like my GSX limited it sits pretty low in the water when you get onto it, i think it would make it very hard to board ....

951s are relatively inexpensive (i bought a rebuilt one with no core for 1500 bucks on ebay) and theres no fabrication involved! Just remember not to take the magnet cup off your flywheel or you may be preparing yourself for a world or swearing when you try to put it back together

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by spiritus_sancti View Post
    Try Here http://www.rapidacceleration.com/

Smile

STay with 951 its a hell of a lot more reliable than the 4tec supercharged engine,and a lot less money ,if you want to go fast put a 951 motor back in or rebuild yours.If money is no object sell the ski after you fix 951 and buy a rxp >conversion skis are for knowledgeable mechanics who have access to cnc machines parts used (new would cost 3 times more than jetski)JMHO>Marvin

Mr JETSKEY

I have to say is right. My 98 GSXL 947 - runs with and pulls the 4techs out of the hole after about 40 or so I start to chase them but from 0-40 I am right there. The 2 stroke is much cheaper to own and maintain, and much more reliable, and if mine is any indication I go ~61-62 on GPS, if that isn't fast enough...then You have to do more mods...

I know it sounds old school...but the older 2 strokes are the way to go...

GL

+1
    welcome to the forum

Thread Information