Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: 951 engine

  1. #1

    951 engine

    ok i have a 98 seadoo gsx limited with a 951 in it. The engine is locked up, and i have pulled the engine and completly stripped the jet ski for cleaning and inpections. I am looking at getting a new engine but should i put a 951 back in it? Is there any swap worth doing to make more power with out modding anything else or is the 951 good? also what kind of impeller and drive unit would be better than stock. Thanks


  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Southeast Texas
    Posts
    101
    If the hull and all other in parts are in decent shape and you really like the ski, you should consider a genuine Rotax rebuilt 947 (951). These rebuilt engines are brought back to factory OE standards with genuine Rotax parts. I have installed them in many customers skis and I have yet to have a problem or complaint. They are a little more expensive than most of the aftermarket rebuilt motors, but, in my opinion, well worth it.
    Robert V

  3. #3
    mibunkerking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Jax,Fl
    Posts
    2,260
    +1
    117
    just out of curiostity, is it at all possible to put a 4-tec into a older 951 model ski? it was one of my daydreams at work today to put a 4-tec into a 98 xpl or 95 xp.

    don't mean to hijack your thread spirtus sancti

  4. #4
    96XPSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Posts
    4,361
    Quote Originally Posted by mibunkerking View Post
    just out of curiostity, is it at all possible to put a 4-tec into a older 951 model ski? it was one of my daydreams at work today to put a 4-tec into a 98 xpl or 95 xp.

    don't mean to hijack your thread spirtus sancti
    One guy on here has already done it. Doo a search. I think he went 75 when the 4Tec was stock 215 HP.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by s/d-daddy View Post
    If the hull and all other in parts are in decent shape and you really like the ski, you should consider a genuine Rotax rebuilt 947 (951). These rebuilt engines are brought back to factory OE standards with genuine Rotax parts. I have installed them in many customers skis and I have yet to have a problem or complaint. They are a little more expensive than most of the aftermarket rebuilt motors, but, in my opinion, well worth it.
    Robert V
    do you know what website or where i can get one? is there a four stroke that i could cange to or should i stay with the 951

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by spiritus_sancti View Post
    do you know what website or where i can get one? is there a four stroke that i could cange to or should i stay with the 951
    Id imagine the 4 stroke motor is somewhat heavier, and if its anything like my GSX limited it sits pretty low in the water when you get onto it, i think it would make it very hard to board ....

    951s are relatively inexpensive (i bought a rebuilt one with no core for 1500 bucks on ebay) and theres no fabrication involved! Just remember not to take the magnet cup off your flywheel or you may be preparing yourself for a world or swearing when you try to put it back together

  7. #7
    SURFnTURF's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    878
    +1
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by spiritus_sancti View Post
    do you know what website or where i can get one? is there a four stroke that i could cange to or should i stay with the 951
    Try Here http://www.rapidacceleration.com/

  8. #8

    Smile

    STay with 951 its a hell of a lot more reliable than the 4tec supercharged engine,and a lot less money ,if you want to go fast put a 951 motor back in or rebuild yours.If money is no object sell the ski after you fix 951 and buy a rxp >conversion skis are for knowledgeable mechanics who have access to cnc machines parts used (new would cost 3 times more than jetski)JMHO>Marvin

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    70

    Mr JETSKEY

    I have to say is right. My 98 GSXL 947 - runs with and pulls the 4techs out of the hole after about 40 or so I start to chase them but from 0-40 I am right there. The 2 stroke is much cheaper to own and maintain, and much more reliable, and if mine is any indication I go ~61-62 on GPS, if that isn't fast enough...then You have to do more mods...


    I know it sounds old school...but the older 2 strokes are the way to go...


    GL

  10. #10
    Moderator RX951's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    League City, Texas
    Posts
    16,066
    +1
    23
    welcome to the forum

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 96 xp 951 engine
    By rxpvic in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-03-2007, 08:44 PM
  2. 951 engine surge @ 6000 RPM
    By RXP'in in MI in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-08-2007, 08:14 PM
  3. 951 engine surge @ 6000 rpm
    By RXP'in in MI in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-07-2007, 08:43 PM
  4. Loc-tite on 951 engine
    By carbuff91 in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-16-2007, 01:10 PM
  5. seadoo gsx with 951 engine bogging at 35 or 40 mph
    By slamcharger in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-06-2006, 08:11 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •