This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

somebody must die...(rant mode major)

and my nomiantion is for the 1994 sl 750 project manager....

second nomiantion is the jerk that installed the engine in this ski.

third nomiation is for myself..for not parting this sucker out last weekend.

let's see what other numbskull things comes to mind....

1989 ford aerostar spark plug change

(and you wonder why the local for dealership charges $400 for a "tune up?"...you need to be made of rubber to get the plugs out)

1992 ford mustang with 302 v8

(duh you have to release a motor mount and jack up the engine to get the #8 spark plug out)

battery mounting "systems" on most skis I've worked this year.

1994 polaris sl 750..gee $400 to change a starter?..well that's the low end price.

I just had a dandy time today pulling the engine out...the nedix was squealing

letsee,,

first was the exhaust pipe affair...remove the intake manifold to pull an exhaust pipe?...and the whole thing to get to the starter?..and the engine to get to the bendix? ( sound of hand grenade going off in hull) WHAt were they thinking?

of course I could have just ridden the damm thing as it was..exept "somebody" obvioulsy not the engine builder, who seems to have done a pro job) kinda/sorta/forgot to put the engine mounting bolts in..maybe they did..maybe the didn't..the bolts never turned up after I got the nasty greasy mess all apart.

the trim control cable was melted..and wait till I post pix of the "triple" fuel pump install ( actually three SINGLE" fuel pumps bolted together.)

The pump and driveshaft came out easily enough and I only added a few more dings on the hull pulling the engine out myself ( came close to really cutting myself on something..but no blood was spilled in today's production)

now that my ranting is finished..off to find the electric imapact gun to pull the stator so I can give the bendix a good lube up (it was squaling like a pig in deliverance)

Might forgot that for a day, as I never did get a good compression reading on this engine..pistons and bores look real clean so I'm hoping it was a recent rebuild ( shows 160 hours on the working mfd)

ok, I'm done ranting now..time for some beerrs and to figure out what I'm going to do with this pos for tomorrow.

+1
    If the bendix is squealing than it is not disengaging. The bendix only engages while starting. I would have a good look at the bendix or just change it all together.

+1
    Most of the time you just need to jack up the one side and remove the tire for spark plug access. Occasionally you need to remove the fender inner liner, both are very easy to do and will save you some bucks.

+1

bendix slipping

this noise sounds like slippage from some munged up rollers, sometimes it catches clean and the engine cranked normally.

I did actually get this ski to run on the hose for a while before I noticed the engine mounts were in trouble.

The bottom of the cases are pretty beat up from bouncing about, so it looks like a correct alignment is going to be impossible.

I was planning on using this ski for my wife anyway, so I guess a little twist on the engine won't be a big deal.

So a cleanup of the nasty hull, a new triple port fuel pump and I guess I'll take general advice here and go with premix. the battery in this ski actually had some charge left on it and the story goes that it was flipped and they couldn't get it started again ( no doubt due to no ground connection between the engine plate and the engine.

While it's out of the hull I guess I am going to take a look at the carbs (they do show signs ofbeing gone thru recently).

It sure isn't pretty, so I might try a little paint on it just for fun.

Counting on one or two seasons before parting out at most, but we'll see what the compression looks like and how things turn out.

the aerostar is long gone, served well while it was with us. Great van.

have a 4x4 f-150 now..too short for a jetrax rack, but it pulls well enough in the sand here even with a double not to worry much.

anyhow, I'm off to deal with the beast now and waiting for my riva order to arrive so I can take another crack at my gtx-rfi issue. Might pull the fuel pump out to have a look at the screen, but I really should get the adapter together to check the fuel pressure.

And why no schrader check point on this boat...again..what were they thinking?..right..special dealer tool.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

Arrow Polaris PWC oil injection system seems to be quite reliable

Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    ...general advice here and go with premix...
    I think they folks who promote oil pump removal sometimes overstate the case. The Polaris oil pump system may not be pretty, but it does seem to be generally reliable.

Many Polaris PWC have not removed the oil injection system, and have had zero troubles with it, even the older models. And every Ficht engine must retain the oil injection, with few reports of trouble..

With oil injection you use about 1/2 the oil as with pre-mix, less exhaust smoke, easy refueling, no messing with pre-mixing at the pump or on the water. No risk of someone forgetting to mix the oil into the fuel (which is catastrophic for a pre-mix engine).

No need to carry extra oil with you, as a full oil tank will last for many tanks of fuel. The low oil warning comes on plenty early (1/4 tank?), so there is no worry about running out of oil before you get home.

The primary maintenance aspect for the oil system is to replace the oil lines when they get old, and check that the clamps and filter are in good shape. Keep the oil tank full, and don't worry about it.

+1

fixed flow rate oil pump on 94 sl750

debates aside on the oil pump biz, I'm well aware of the risk/benefit to premixing int he world of oil injection.

This model polaris uses a fixed setting oil pump, what's up with that besides no cable control of the pump voulume so I would guess too much oil at low speed to support wot operation, the change to variable rate injection has me wondering..I'm trying to spend minimum bucks on this project, so I may just leave well enough alone for the moment.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    debates aside on the oil pump biz, I'm well aware of the risk/benefit to premixing in the world of oil injection.

This model Polaris uses a fixed setting oil pump, what's up with that besides no cable control of the pump volume so I would guess too much oil at low speed to support wot operation, the change to variable rate injection has me wondering...
    My post was partially for others who may be wondering about the upsides vs. downsides to removing the oil injection system.

I do forget that the early years Polaris oil injection system was fixed flow rate. 1992-1994 were fixed rate oil pumps.

I think 1995 was the first year for the variable rate oil pump system. I suppose a retro fit onto the 1992-1994 Fuji engine wouldn't be too hard, if you could find the variable rate oil pump together with the hardware to link it to the throttle.

Thread Information