Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Going into uncharted Territory-ATV'S!

What's up fellas? After selling the ol 04 MSX 150, time to replace it with another toy in the next few months. I have been looking very hard at a Can-Am Outlander 500XT, 650XT, or 800XT. Just having a hard time deciding what one to get. I still have to pay off my little gas mileage 94 Ford Probe I bought as a daily driver(03 Fx4 F-150 w/5.4 gets 13 mpg)! I have been reserching all I can about Can-Am ATV's. I have found one of each of those at very reasonable prices up in Minnesota(left-over 08's). Anybody have a Can-Am ATV or know anybody that has one? From the reviews I have read online on ATV Magazine, they are very reliable with a lot of power for the dollar! So anybody with input, I'm all ears!!

I had the pleasure of having a 650 XT for a week and I loved it. We also had a Polaris sportsman 700, and the 650 XT IMO was much better. I also love the sound of the Rotax V-twin compared to the Polaris. Sounds much meaner.

+1
    What is your intent with your ATV?
    I personally think the best sport quad ride (I'm rarely using 4wd where I ride) is the Yamaha Rap tor 700. Extremely reliable, takes a beating and there are tons of aftermarket parts and guys/gals willing to work on it. Maintenance is very simple and she sounds wicked!!

fabrication guru rapidacceleration's Avatar
    +1
    i've got the 03 raptor 660. its definatly reliable. We hammer the shit outa it for the last 5 years and NOTHING mechanical has ever broke. over 200 hours. its rolled/flip down hills, crashed into shit, even floated away upside down in the creak. dried it out and she fired right up.
    its a bit top heavy and skinny for uneven terrain IMO.

If i got another one it would be the kawasaki KFX v-force 700.
    been riding the KFX alot and love the automatic with the v twin 700 motor. for just balls to the wall fun the KFX can't be beat. from a dead stop I can't touch it with my raptor but once the rapdaddy starts to whine out on top i can walk away from the kawi..
    kawi now makes a 4x4 version too. the v-twin brute force..

wat you want is the can am 650. it has alot of power but it doesnt have too much. we have the 650 and an 800 along with a 450 yamaha grizzly (which goes places the can ams cant(surprisenly)). you wouldnt think so but the 650 scoots along better through terrain and up hills and over and through stuff the 800 cant. sure the 800 has more power but sometimes the bigger the bader (not in a good way) too much spin not enough traction.

i would recomend the can ams to anyone but dont let the power take over your decision.

the polaris 700 v twin is great and all but depending on were you ride and how you ride the parts list can grow. my bro has a 700 v twin and he eats through belts faster than a fat kid can through cake. dont get me wrong i like polaris but there is better.

Thanks for the input fellas. I just think the 800 has too much power for what I would be using it for-mainly trail riding and going to the local mudhole. Also would be using it quite a bit in the winter for a wanna-be snowmobile! I figure why not buy something for year-round usage rather than a snowmobile? They have that left-over 650 XT for like $8000 out the door up in Minnesota. I don't think I could go wrong there, I couldn't touch an XP850 Polaris or Sportsman 800 for anywhere close to that, especially with the winch, nicer rims, front/rear bumbers, and mudd tires ya know? I think Can-Am is the best bang for the $$

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    2 questions
    Did you get a house?
    Does the G'Friend know about this?

yes and yes surprisingly! Got a condo down here in NOrth Liberty, take possession the 6th of November. So it's all good!

Quote Originally Posted by bossd View Post
    wat you want is the can am 650. it has alot of power but it doesnt have too much. we have the 650 and an 800 along with a 450 yamaha grizzly (which goes places the can ams cant(surprisenly)). you wouldnt think so but the 650 scoots along better through terrain and up hills and over and through stuff the 800 cant. sure the 800 has more power but sometimes the bigger the bader (not in a good way) too much spin not enough traction.

i would recomend the can ams to anyone but dont let the power take over your decision.

the polaris 700 v twin is great and all but depending on were you ride and how you ride the parts list can grow. my bro has a 700 v twin and he eats through belts faster than a fat kid can through cake. dont get me wrong i like polaris but there is better.
    The only difference between 650 and 800 is the power... same traction, same tires, same frame, just 150 more cc.... If you plan on doing any mudding,, you want to be able to turn BIG tires... If you put big tires on smaller bikes, then you need to install clutch kits and gearing... This will scub your top end... Thats why I choose the 800... My bikes have outlaw 29.5 tires and they still do 60+ topend...On a 650 you would be around 50mph....
    Hope this helps... If youre gonna leave it alone then get what ever you like but, if youre gonna start putting big wheels (28 or better) then get as more power as you can... If you dont, then you will be working your bike harder....(for no reason)...

BTW, polaris atvs arent reliable...or strong...
    polaris 800 will get smoked by can-am 650... in ALL catagories.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information