Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A Quick test of your RXP, RXT SC's Cluch

I had some great finding this weekend that I hope will help alot of RXP, RXT and other super charged owners. I took the air inlet pipe off to install the Power pipe. While that was off I could look down and saw the fins (Or veins) of the SC impeller. I took my thumb, index finger and middle finger and put some force on the SC impeller and it turned with not much pressure. HMMMM sound like my cluch could be slipping. After talking to Jerry on the phone Saturday and wonder should I beable to turn the impeller this eazy, he said I should not be able to. This was just a quick test but I am sure you can get a tourqe wrench and proforman the same test. With 77 + hours on my stock cluch I will be sending it to PPG for the fixed. I just hope they have the Vortex SC impeller in so that can be added, also good luck and check them cluches. I am sure no one wants a SC cluch to fall apart in the motor.

+1
    Reality - has anyone had their clutch fail after PPG fixed? And have any of those been with the Rotax Racing Heavy Duty clutch kit and shaft replacement? If not then I'm definitely going to send mine in to them and eat the 1.5 week downtime to do so.

+1
    Jr. are you seeing full RPM's? If so your clutch is fine. If your clutch was slipping you would see much lower RPM's.

The way you described to check your clutch is far from accurate. To test the slipping moment of the clutch with the supercharger in the ski you must remove your valve cover. Use the camshaft locking tool to lock the cam in place while the #3 piston is at top dead center. Then you can put a torque wrench on the impeller nut to check the slip moment.

+1
    Jerry, is that easier than pulling the SC and putting the gear in a vice?

+1
    I would rather pull the sc!

My RPM only droped to 7900. That was only in a course of one one week. So by me being able to turn the SC impeller with my hand that does not mean it has some slipage??

Also sorry if I posted something that was not accurate. Just posted what I found and though may have been a way to tell if the SC cluch was beging to slip. With 77+ hours on my ski I wanted to catch it befor it goes out all together. My bad guys

+1
    Wilmer, no worries man, its a legitimate concern. I think if you were able to turn 7900 RPM's your clutch is not slipping. It is possible to turn the engine by spinning the SC impeller if you don't lock the camshaft. The reduction gearing makes it quite easy to spin the engine from the sc impeller nut. If you were indeed spinning the engine you could have mistaken that for clutch slippage.

I wouldn't say 7900 rpm is indicative of a slipping clutch. More likely heat fade.

How's your holeshot? Does it still feel like it's hitting pretty hard? You would definately loose acceleration with a slipping clutch.

I think the best way to monitor your clutch for excessive slip is to install a boost gauge.

I agree Thomas, boost guage is the way to go. Mine showed the boost failure so Im hopeing I caught it before disintergration.
    I have not had chance to pull the SC because I have been working 14 hr days.
    If your checking the SC slipping force, you need to stick a broom handle in the pump to stop the impeller turning (thus stoping the engine rotating whale you check the slipping moment)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information