2001 Polaris 1200cc 135hp HELP...

I just purchased a 2001 sun n sea 15’ jet boat with a Polaris 1200 triple 135hp motor in it. I am looking for a service manual, winterizing instructions, and any other information that may be useful. Thank You for the help…

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk!

Post some photos here of your rare machine.

You can use the 2002 Polaris Service Manual for reference.

Winterizing the engine is straightforward. Have a look at the manual for a start.

If you can, add Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer, then fill the fuel tank with non-Ethanol gasoline. Run engine enough to get the stabilizer mix through carbs.

If you can, tilt the nose of the trailer up high, and run the engine without cooling water. Burp the engine throttle firmly a couple of times to push excess water out of the waterbox.

Don't run the engine dry for more than 10-15 seconds at a time, then let it cool for a while.

Start engine again, and spray fogging oil heavily into the carb intakes while idling. Engine may or may not die while you are spraying. Should take less than 15 seconds to complete. If you need to remove the air intake cover to fog the carbs, remember put it back on.

Shut it down, then remove spark plugs, and fog inside each spark plug hole. Turn the engine over by hand, or bump the starter to spread the oil around.

Put the spark plugs back in loosely. Disconnect and remove battery. Store battery in a cool dry place, preferably connected to a battery maintainer, not an automotive trickle charger.

Fill the oil tank to reduce water condensation during storage.

If it is dirty, wash engine area, and drain and dry. Once dry, spray Fluid Film lightly over the metal surfaces, cables, etc.

If you are storing it covered or indoors, leave the engine cover cracked open to allow air flow to keep it dry. Make sure creatures cannot get inside the engine area, or into the exhaust.

I am sure I have forgotten some things, but you can Search on here for more info on winterizing.

Hey K477...

That was great information, Thanks.... one question, I poured about 1/2 gallon of anitifreeze into the flush port on the manifold jacket and I got a little to drain out the jetdrive, there is not way that that could got gotten inside my cylinders could it??? I read something in the manual stating do not flush motor without it running?? Coyuld you explain the differance??

Thank You

+1
    Part of the cooling water flow is injected into the exhaust gas flow in a normal Polaris PWC engine. The running engine exhaust gases push that water out the back, and there is no problem.

If your machine uses the same type of 'wet' exhaust, then there will be a small hose that feeds into the inside of the exhaust pipe. If the engine is NOT running, then that exhaust injection water can flow backwards into the engine itself, which is not a good thing.

Take the spark plugs out, and crank it over. If you get any water/anti-freeze spraying out the plug holes, then you have a problem.

If it is still dry inside the cylinders, then start it up, and run it for 10 seconds or so to dry out the exhaust system a little. A couple of strong blips should do it.

The normal procedure when 'running on the hose' is;
    Start engine
    Start water flow within 10 seconds.
    Stop water flow
    Stop engine within 10 seconds.

Normally the Polaris exhaust system is self draining, so no anti-freeze is needed.

Question.... what if I am faced with the below situation... I have a 2001 1200cc carburated Polaris engine..

Take the spark plugs out, and crank it over. If you get any water/anti-freeze spraying out the plug holes, then you have a problem.

Thanks

+1
    If you DO get water or anti-freeze inside the engine, you need to get it OUT right away.

There are steel bearings inside the crankcase that will rust in short order, and will then fail soon afterwards, especially at high RPM under load.

Normally, the drying out process goes something like this;
    - Crank the engine with the spark plugs out until there is very little water spraying out.

Don't crank for too long at one time, so you don't burn out the starter motor. Keep the battery charged too.

- Once the water spray has abated, spray some fogging oil into the carb intakes, then install the spark plugs, and get the engine running. You might have to clean and reinstall the plugs several times if the plug tips keep getting wet.

- Once it will run, connect the cooling hose, or put it into the water, and run it for a minute or two. The idea is to get the inside of the engine warm, so the moisture will dry out.

If you can run it under load in the water (even well strapped to the trailer at a launch ramp), that is best. High RPM helps move air through the engine, getting the moisture out, and heat in.

Once it is dry inside, spray more fogging oil into the carb intakes, and shut the engine down.

At this point, the engine should be fine. If you are going to store it for a long time, then also fog into the spark plug holes, as noted earlier.

+1
    Hi Marky, WELCOME to the Green Hulk Forums!!
    Pictures would be great!!

K477 Thanks for the help..

I'll have to remove the plugs in the morning and see if it is dry or wet, I did this yesterday.. anyway, your saying if everything is dry I should be fine and good to go?

I'll post some pics this weekend..

later

Hey K477,

I removed the spark plugs this morning and they were clean and dry. I turned over the motor with the plugs out and no antifreeze shot out of the cylinders. I also placed my finger tips in each hole one at a time and cranked the motor over and no antifreeze, just dry with a tiny oil residue on my fingers. So I installed the plugs again and fired the motor right up and ran it for 10 seconds or so and it sounded fine. I believe I am all set and appreciate all of your great advice...

Thanks Markyjoe

+1
    Don't forget those pictures!

We like to see where Polaris PWC stuff is being used, especially if it is unusual!

Thread Information