Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Super7Four's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia Area
    Posts
    34

    Winterization advice 15-F

    I bought a 15-F over the summer so I'm heading into my first winter. I store the ski in my garage, I live in PA so it gets cold, although I doubt it gets to the freezing point in my garage.

    I've read the manual for winterization procedures but want to see what you guys do for winterization.

    Can you provide guidance as to what needs to get done and what doesn't?

    Thanks for your help


  2. #2

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    YOU CAN'T SEE ME
    Posts
    300
    Using the search feature will guide you through several procedures to winterize your ski. If you find something that you don't understand there then feel free to ask.

  3. #3
    Mainly as following:
    > Add Stabil in fuel tank.
    > Spray fogging oil into each plug hole.
    > Drain water from 4-1 exh pipe (in owner's manual pg 99).
    > Trickle charge battery
    But I would also check jet pump bearings as well.

  4. #4
    Super7Four's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia Area
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by meangreenman View Post
    Mainly as following:
    > Add Stabil in fuel tank.
    > Spray fogging oil into each plug hole.
    > Drain water from 4-1 exh pipe (in owner's manual pg 99).
    > Trickle charge battery
    But I would also check jet pump bearings as well.

    Thanks. Would you run any antifreeze through it? I know some folks that do even though the manual doesn't talk about it.

  5. #5

    winterizing my 2008 15f

    I just did mine last sunday. First i added fuel stab. then i used a funnel w/ a hose w/ shut off valve contraption. Turned on ski, then i poured 1 gal. of r/v antifreeze threw it. I just used whole bottle. it came out pisser and back end. then i disconnected my wires going to the coils, removed each plug one at at a time and sprayed fogging oil, bumped over the starter, sprayed alittle more then put spark plug back in. Repeated 3 more times. then pulled battery, sprayed down engine w/ corrision lube from kawi chem. propped up seat. and put cover on. DONE!
    my ski is alway's waxed so i didn't do it this time b/c after i was done using it last time i did it.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    YOU CAN'T SEE ME
    Posts
    300
    Quote Originally Posted by cdevido View Post
    I just did mine last sunday. First i added fuel stab. then i used a funnel w/ a hose w/ shut off valve contraption. Turned on ski, then i poured 1 gal. of r/v antifreeze threw it. I just used whole bottle. it came out pisser and back end. then i disconnected my wires going to the coils, removed each plug one at at a time and sprayed fogging oil, bumped over the starter, sprayed alittle more then put spark plug back in. Repeated 3 more times. then pulled battery, sprayed down engine w/ corrision lube from kawi chem. propped up seat. and put cover on. DONE!
    my ski is alway's waxed so i didn't do it this time b/c after i was done using it last time i did it.
    Sounds professional enough to me. Good detailed info.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by cdevido View Post
    I just did mine last sunday. First i added fuel stab. then i used a funnel w/ a hose w/ shut off valve contraption. Turned on ski, then i poured 1 gal. of r/v antifreeze threw it. I just used whole bottle. it came out pisser and back end. then i disconnected my wires going to the coils, removed each plug one at at a time and sprayed fogging oil, bumped over the starter, sprayed alittle more then put spark plug back in. Repeated 3 more times. then pulled battery, sprayed down engine w/ corrision lube from kawi chem. propped up seat. and put cover on. DONE!
    my ski is alway's waxed so i didn't do it this time b/c after i was done using it last time i did it.
    Make sure to check there is no water inside the jet pump bearing area.
    > Tilt up the trailer front.
    > Remove the rear end pump cone (held by 3 screws).
    > Using a flash light, look inside the bearing area. > If there is no water found there, just repacked the grease.
    > If water is found, you need to check and see if bearing replacement is necessary or not. Your bearings (front & rear) may be ok NOW, but after a few months submerged in water, they may not be. Bearings are relatively cheap, but impeller/pump are not (>$800) when the bearings let go. Sometimes the bad pump bearings can damage crankshaft thrust bearing (& complete bottom end damage on engine) if you keep riding becaust the driveshaft keeps hammering forward onto the crank's PTO end.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    YOU CAN'T SEE ME
    Posts
    300
    Quote Originally Posted by meangreenman View Post
    Make sure to check there is no water inside the jet pump bearing area.
    > Tilt up the trailer front.
    > Remove the rear end pump cone (held by 3 screws).
    > Using a flash light, look inside the bearing area. > If there is no water found there, just repacked the grease.
    > If water is found, you need to check and see if bearing replacement is necessary or not. Your bearings (front & rear) may be ok NOW, but after a few months submerged in water, they may not be. Bearings are relatively cheap, but impeller/pump are not (>$800) when the bearings let go. Sometimes the bad pump bearings can damage crankshaft thrust bearing (& complete bottom end damage on engine) if you keep riding becaust the driveshaft keeps hammering forward onto the crank's PTO end.
    Sounds professional enough also.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. afr tuning advice 15.5
    By rcab85 in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-16-2015, 09:37 PM
  2. Just bought a pair of '96 SL 700's need some de-winterize advice here:
    By redneckincanada in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-18-2014, 08:26 PM
  3. Winterized for 15 months!!!
    By NCHeel in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-22-2009, 03:01 AM
  4. STX 15 f oil light advice needed
    By Aquaholic in forum Kawasaki PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-13-2007, 02:36 PM
  5. My winter projects for the ski.. need advice...
    By jcc011185 in forum Polaris PWC Performance
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 10-01-2006, 11:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •