Grounding Spark Plug wires

What happens if you do a compression test without grounding the sparkplugs wires? Just wondering what the grounding post do?

Quote Originally Posted by jeffro22 View Post
    What happens if you do a compression test without grounding the sparkplugs wires? Just wondering what the grounding post do?
    You get a compression reading? Just kiddin, nothing happens in my experience. I have always just disconnected the wires and pulled the plugs and inserted tester, hit starter till it doesn't climb any longer.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    The pupose for grounding is safety. If there are sufficient fuel vapors present when you leave them dangling, and it sparks to ground...it can go BOOM in your face.

Ok, i was worried that i could ruin the electronics or something. Thanks for the info!!

Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    The pupose for grounding is safety. If there are sufficient fuel vapors present when you leave them dangling, and it sparks to ground...it can go BOOM in your face.
    You have a very good point there. Thanks for the info.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    It could give you one hell of a kick as well

plus it is not good for the coils to fire that voltage to no where, grounding or even spinning it over with spark plus on the end keeps the system from discharging voltage in the wrong places

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

not grounding can cost you big

it will eventually damage an ignition system that's got marginal insulation values//that juice has to go to the ground...., get in the habit of attaching the plug wires to the ground posts if available. Lay the plugs on the head if not. Taking a second can literally save you hundreds.

some fuel injected skis do not run the injectors when the throttles are wide open, so no danger of an explosion, you have a greater chance of wacking your hand on something sharp if you get hit with the discharge then you do having an explosion.

I got hit hard once working on a car, I knocked the hood support rod out and the front of the grill ( a mercedes) caught my forearm. That was pretty much the last tme I chose to ignore simple operational laws of internal combustion engines.

oh yeah..

try not to let gasoline sit on your hands for any length of time..same with used motor oil.

and don't mock the old guy..it's bad for your karma

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by jeffro22 View Post
    The same thing that happens if you jump start or hook up a turned on battery charger to your sea-doo battery. 95% of the time nothing ,however the one time you do hurt the ignition,cdi or in seadoo the MPEM box a 400.00 up to 800.00 part will need to be replaced,not to mention the labor to program the keys to new mpem.When you get lazy around mechanics ,it will bite you ,not if but when.Take the time to ground spark plugs,remove battery cable when charging battery,(unless trickle charger)remove battery cable when working on engine or jet pump,no smoking around fuel tank or when youre working on watercraft.A few simple rules followed will save you tons of money and hurt body parts thru the yrs.safety first!!JMHO>Marvin

Thread Information