Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

$50.00 wear ring or $250 impeller?

Hi folks!

I was talking with my dealer about the stainless steel wear ring some of you are using. What he basically said was that the plastic ones will obviously wear out before the S/S ones, but that keeps the impeller in better shape and what would we rather do? change a $50.00 wear ring or change a $250.00 impeller?

What are your thoughts?

Ed

+1
    That's been my justification for not throwing down the $300, but in reality I've been throwing $300's elsewhere. Most of these mods are a gamble in terms of how they'll last or be worth your while. I ride in 99% debris-free water so perhaps I could do the SS wear ring and not have to make that crossroad decision.

Here's my take on it. If I don't suck up anything then my plastic should perform just as good as the SS. Then someone will say that the plastic ones will get wear just from doing mods, useage, or whatever reason other than negligence. So if that's true and I do nothing and the wear ring still gets worn by the impeller, then why would I replace it with a SS and have my impeller take a beating? That's what I don't understand.

+1
    I am a firm believer that the plastic wear ring actually makes it easier to jam things between the ring and impeller.The soft ring then gets taken out as well as the impeller.
    I had a Polaris that sucked up rocks so bad that is sounded like someone had poured a bag of marbles through the pump. When I got home I took it apart and there wasn't even a scratch.
    When I worked at a dealership that was Polaris we rarely had any pump issues. I have only seen one pump that got messed up from rocks.
    When we changed to Sea Doo the pump problems started. It was rare that a wear ring would be badly damaged and not have taken the impeller with it.
    I believe the Sea Doo plastic wear ring is a cash grab and doesn't save a thing.

+1
    I can see that point of view and that's a good one! That plastic would nick at the slightest ingestion whereas the SS would just handle it. I suppose if something big were to get in there the damage would be expensive no matter that composition of the ring or safeguards to the impeller.

+1
    The plastic ring will get carved up if rocks are injested, and the prop will probably get nicked or bent. But in no way will a SS ring prevent the prop from getting damaged from rocks. The SS wear ring will more than likely be thrashed too. Count your blessings if it doesn't ! We sell the OEM plastic rings for $39 plus $3.85 Priority Mail delivery. That's over 7 plastic rings for the cost of one stainless. I also heard that the plastic ring is faster because you can run a tighter tolerance with it without the prop possibly binding on the ring as would be the case with SS.

Plus, think of all the exercise you'll get changing rings !!! Better than watching TV ??

Richard

+1
    I would take the risk.
    I never had a problem with the Dominator pump on the Polaris in 8 years.
    That would be impossible with the buttery pump on the Sea Doo.
    Polaris did a lot of things wrong but the pump was not one of them.

is it alot of work to change the wear rings?

I sucked up an oyster shell and a piece of wood and the dealer had to change my wear ring. He also had to smooth out the leading edges of the impeller. 170 bucks. I am sure if i had a S/S wear ring, that bill would have been 500 to replace the impeller.

+1
    It may have also gone through it with no damage at all.
    It is too easy to wedge things between the plastic and the impeller.

I rode kawi skis forever with no plastic rings or problems. That seadoo plastic wear ring is just a wear item so seadoo can get more money from you after you buy the ski. Just to get you back to the dealer and make money on the $5 part they sell to you for $45. You notice warranty doesnt cover this. I deal with the automotive side of this and its the same thing on certain parts. You can believe me or not because I have been in the business. I know people who jobs are to design flaws in cars or whatever to get more money from customers in the future.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information