Under standing impeller pitch

Hey looking for more advice.. I have A 2004 arx1200T3 F12-X Turbo. I Do not understand the pitch #'s. One is a 17-29 pitch and the other is a 18-30. I want to keep the same RPM But what is the difference between the two??? Is one harder on the motor than the other?? Thanks...Pat

I build Horsepower
    +1
    The pitch is the blade angle, It's just a number for reference.

The first number is the intake pitch, the second number is the outlet side of the props pitch. You tweak these numbers/pitches to Dial in the RPM that your engine makes the most torque at. This requires a engine Dyno to know what RPM that is or do like most and that is to lake test till you get the maximum GPS top speed.

FYI
    You should buy the 17/29 on a stock ski in most applications.

Shawn

+1
    I got a question while we're on the topic: Turbo and non turbo... Honda has the smallest displacement engine that does not require a gear reduction. Their pump is big (155mm). What do they turn such a STEEP impeller?

For example, the Kawasaki 15F has A LOT more displacement and torque, yet is uses a smaller (148mm) pump, AND has far less pitch (13/19). Can anyone explain please? Thanks!

+1
    Also, I understand the two numbers of impeller pitch, but what is the correlation between how close or far apart those numbers are from one another?

Example: Increasing/decreasing first number vs Increasing/decreasing second number: 13/19 vs 14/19 OR 13/19 vs 13/20

What does changing only the first number do? What does changing only the second number do?

Thanks!

I build Horsepower
    +1
    The intake (suction pressure in pump terms is this area) the output pitch is what you "tweak" for RPM"

Work on the front to feed the pump
    Work on the back (pitch in both) to get the Max torque RPM.

Shawn

+1

+1
    While we're on the topic: Turbo and non turbo... Honda has the smallest displacement engine that does not require a gear reduction. Their pump is big (155mm) and impeller is steep (17/29). Why do they turn such a STEEP impeller?

For example, the Kawasaki 15F has A LOT more displacement and torque, yet is uses a smaller (148mm) pump, AND has far less pitch (13/19). Can anyone explain please? Thanks!

+1
    have wondered that same thing. 5 yrs ago I'd have been motivated enough to test more pitches.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RonJon View Post
    While we're on the topic: Turbo and non turbo... Honda has the smallest displacement engine that does not require a gear reduction. Their pump is big (155mm) and impeller is steep (17/29). Why do they turn such a STEEP impeller?

Late model non-turbo'd R's & F's use a smaller pump (147mm). Anyone know if the jet nozzle from those ski's will bolt on to the larger pump (155mm) on the turbo skis (I'm assuming its smaller in diameter too)?

Thanks Shawn for the info. Was on travel sorry for taking so long to post back.

Thread Information