Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Removing Cylinders

I am doing a rebuild on my 951 and I see where the manual says to remove the studs to get the block loose. Is there a better way to do this? I carefully tried to remove them by "jam-nutting" them then using Vice-Grips. They aren't budging.

well if you can't get the studs out it's a real bitoch to get the jugs off because the orings jam on the studs... try using two nuts (i think you already did) on the studs.. if you absolutely can't get the studs out you can use brute force by ripping the cylinder off the block just make sure you have the pistons at a level height so they won't be damaged by going in and out of the bore...

Heat the hell out of the studs with a torch. Then buy new studs

+1
    Or buy the right tool...."stud remover" Snap On sells em.

+1
    If you dont want to try anything above pour some oil down the stud holes so as to help the orings slide over the threads.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Vise Grips are not the correct tool. All you did was booger up all your nuts, a typical newb error. If you jam nutted them together and used the lower nut to loosen (with a wrench) I find it hard to believe it wouldn't break loose.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    Vise Grips are not the correct tool. All you did was booger up all your nuts, a typical newb error. If you jam nutted them together and used the lower nut to loosen (with a wrench) I find it hard to believe it wouldn't break loose.
    AMEN!!! proper tools for proper job,They can be a pain but they are loctited in so they dont rust or seize in thread area ,its just loctite and the orings being a pain ,try some penetrating oil .I have taken the cylinders off without removing studs its not easy but possible,be careful not to damage sealing surfaces>Marvin

Its just a bitch no matter how you look at it. The snap on stud remover works great. But they never seem to have them on the truck. I had to order mine and it took 2 weeks to get. But now im happy to have it.

Its been a few years but I remember my first 951 rebuild.. I had to do it twice on that particular ski. I remember getting the cylinders off was a real P.I.T.A.

I have a brand new standard bore 951 piston for sale with rings!, and a bunch of various gasket!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information