Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Check your SBT Alignment Tool

I have been working on 02 4-Tec rebuild since last winter. Rebuild went very smoothly. I decided to purchase everything I needed in the winter and didn't get around to the alignment until some time later. After experiencing a lot of drive line noise, I did some searches and found a case where someone here had checked the run-out on one, and found it to be out of the seadoo specification (not sure what that is). I called SBT and was told that I was outta luck because too much time had past since I purchased the alignment device. It had 0.050" run-out. I have meticulously taken care of the shaft so I know it was shipped out of specification from SBT. I am past being upset about a defective alignment rod now. I just wanted to warn people that are purchasing to check the run-out immediately when you receive the alignment shaft. There ARE problems with the tolerances of the device SBT sells.

+1
    Seems like most would have figured out by now sbt sells junk PERIOD.

+1
    I can't say it is all junk because I have had good luck before. Just depends. This one has problems though.

From the SBT website:

This allows you to properly align your new engine with your pump shaft. This alignment is critical to ensure proper mesh of the shaft splines, and preserve the seals and bearings of your engine & pump systems.
    This includes all parts - the shaft, three pump plates and shaft adaptors to do all Sea-Doo models. This is a rental tool if you chose to return it for a partial refund, otherwise it is a standard purchase.
    If you return it within 30 days you will be refunded $75.
    Returns between 31 and 60 days receive a $50 refund.
    Returns after 60 days will receive a $25 refund.
    Tools received by SBT that are not able to be reused due to mis-use or poor packaging will not receive any refund.

So to me that means that if you use the SBT packaging to return the tool to them, and the tool is bent during shipment, it is your problem; not theirs. Hmmmm. What if the tool is bent while shipping to you? Are they responsible for damage due to alignment due to their damaged tool?... Ron

+1
    All I can say is when I see a ski with SBT rebuild I RUN REAL FAST not even a consideration

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    SBT sucks... don't buy shit from them!

Quote Originally Posted by thompsdw View Post
    I have been working on 02 4-Tec rebuild since last winter. Rebuild went very smoothly. I decided to purchase everything I needed in the winter and didn't get around to the alignment until some time later. After experiencing a lot of drive line noise, I did some searches and found a case where someone here had checked the run-out on one, and found it to be out of the seadoo specification (not sure what that is). I called SBT and was told that I was outta luck because too much time had past since I purchased the alignment device. It had 0.050" run-out. I have meticulously taken care of the shaft so I know it was shipped out of specification from SBT. I am past being upset about a defective alignment rod now. I just wanted to warn people that are purchasing to check the run-out immediately when you receive the alignment shaft. There ARE problems with the tolerances of the device SBT sells.
    How do you check the run out on the alignment shaft?

Quote Originally Posted by kp04rxp View Post
    How do you check the run out on the alignment shaft?
    To be honest with you, I don't even think of a run out be possible? The tool is simple to use. It doesn't stay in the ski long enough to wear down. You drop the motor in the ski, semi line it up as straight as you can, "YOU STICK IT IN" (Alignment Tool) Ya jiggle it here and there.....get it straight and tighten down the engine bolts and mounts. To check its straight and close to perfect, You pull out your tool, put some lube on your tool and stick it "In and Out" motion inside the engine. It should go in and out without a snag. Pictures might help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RXP 1154.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	588.1 KB 
ID:	100960   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RXP 1156.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	571.1 KB 
ID:	100961   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RXP 1181.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	593.8 KB 
ID:	100962   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RXP 1155.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	666.9 KB 
ID:	100963   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RXP 1182.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	690.8 KB 
ID:	100964   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RXP 1159.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	564.0 KB 
ID:	100965  

The only thing that can go wrong with this tool is the "ROD" being bent. If the rod is bent, it would be hard to put it in the plate (Picture enclosed) and slide it in smoothly without a snag. That plate is a Guide both for the pump and a straight edge for the "Rod" Also there are different configuration of the plate use. The one I borrowed only works for the RXT, GTX. I have an RXP outside contour of the plate is different. I made my own as I can not cut it, because I just borrowed it. I think, it's the OEM tool for SeaDoo, not PWCYesterday Hope this help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RXP 1178.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	588.1 KB 
ID:	100967  

I have the sbt alignment tool and i thought it worked properly... Just wasn't sure if maybe it wasnt.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information