Smile REplacing fuel lines/cleaning carbs

AS most mechanics already know this but I will repeat it as the ski I repaired yesterday had it.OK on 2001 seadoo 4 seater LRV 951 twin carb. had never been flipped,carbs rebuilt in 2006 not by me.OK I pulled carbs cleaned them (filters full of gunk from grey lines)I replaced fuel lines ,yet when I got to petcock,I couldnt believe my eyes,both sides on/reserve were packed full of corrosion and the gunk from grey lines,just in the petcock there was more than a teaspoon full of corrosion,I had to dig it out with a small screwdriver before the carb cleaner would even try to go thru,It took a lot of digging and cleaning until even compressed air would blow thru it.Moral of story when replacing fuel lines and doing carb rebuild on seadoo 2 stroke remove the petcock completely , and clean both sides of it reserve and on,with a good strong cleaner then blow it out with air !!!!the newer type gasolines with the alchol in them, cause huge amounts of corrosion with the type of metal seadoo fuel selectors(petcocks) are made from.The alchol in fuel pulls the moisture from the air in tank then it also causes the water to stay in suspension .Take a glass jar add a pint of gas then put a 1/2 cup of water in it, mix it up,then watch instead of water all going to btm and seperating the water will settle but be orange like the gas ,not clear as it used to if you tried this.nowdays 90% of watercraft problems are caused by todays fuel either directly or indirectly.fuel over 3 months old is not fit to run in watercraft!!JMHO>Marvin

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

and people think I am trying to scam thier fuel...

when I tell em I am draining tanks winterizing this year. I offer em the gas if they bring enough 5 gallon cans. We had all kinds of problems this year with 3 month old fuel not letting skis ( and boats) start..and that's what I'm telling em..2-3 month old fuel can't be trusted. The fuel doesn't smell 'right" after it picks up water..and I've got a really good nose for that kinda stuff.

Had a parade of skis withe tempo fuel lines this year..and they keep on arriving too! Classic green slime syndrome. Couple of blown engines due to this also.

-pete

Interested in organized racing @ Elephant Butte NM lake in 2009?

PM me.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    You should have added your post to this thread at the top-
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=27314

There are pics of the fuel selector switch posted up too.

Smile

THat last picture of petcock looks great compared to the one I pulled,I just started a new thread as this is such a big problem,and I know of a two shops who leave the old fuel line knowing they will get another carb job soon,if it comes back in 3 tanks of fuel they blame it on fuel.The more people we tell about grey fuel lines the more they will tell.I keep hoping it'll slow down but getting more every yr!!>Marvin

Quick question - how do you pop off that valve? I tried getting the selector cover off but it seemed like it would snap?

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by Battscrew View Post
    Quick question - how do you pop off that valve? I tried getting the selector cover off but it seemed like it would snap?
    There is a setscrew on the side of the knob. Loosen it, slide the knob off, then a nut will be exposed on the outside. Remove the nut and slide the assembly inside the hull.

Smile

Some also have a cover over center of petcock take it off there is a phillips head screw hoding the handle and cover together on, the screw in the side is for older 92s etc. the 95s on have the screw under the little cap that snaps in center of selector, also when grey fuel lines get hard they also suck air around the tank connections (res. and on lines) hope this helps>Marvin

Quote Originally Posted by mrjetskey View Post
    Some also have a cover over center of petcock take it off there is a phillips head screw hoding the handle and cover together on, the screw in the side is for older 92s etc. the 95s on have the screw under the little cap that snaps in center of selector, also when grey fuel lines get hard they also suck air around the tank connections (res. and on lines) hope this helps>Marvin
    Yes its that little cover that is stuck...

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Battscrew View Post
    Yes its that little cover that is stuck...
    Well pop it off all it takes is a small flat jewelers screwdriver ,or any ice pick etc,the little round center piece about 1/4" wide in the middle of the petcock is just snapped in, you gotta pry it out,its a plastic plugg with a couple of ridges on it to hold it in place,now go get it off and tell us how plugged up your petcock is HAHAHA!!!! good luck>Marvin

Thread Information