Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

98xpl lacking speed/new wear ring Demolished!

i have the ada billet head with 50cc domes, 15-20 solas conord, proks filters, 167.5hs, 85ls. stock speed was recorded at 56.7. after all the parts were thrown on it now does 61.5mph. Everyone on this forum says the stock speed should be 60MPH!! i need to pitch the prop as it only is revving 6800rpms after adjusting the carbs, but i know that wont make a 5 mph difference. picked it up today and inspected the pump, the wear ring has huge gouges and some parts have been completely shreaded. It looks like the impeller was rubbing one side of the wear ring and the new wear ring seams to be made way cheaper . The compression on each cylinder is 160psi. Can anyone help me please...............by the way ive completely resealed the pump, cleaned the raves but they still make me lose about .5mph turned all the way in as opposed to out, i played with the regulator to try to get some more speed but it only made about .5mph difference,

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Post pics of the prop...leading edges the trailing edges.

Was the engine replaced before you owned it? Has it ever turned correct max rpms and speed since you've owned it?

Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    Post pics of the prop...leading edges the trailing edges.

Was the engine replaced before you owned it? Has it ever turned correct max rpms and speed since you've owned it?

the engine was rebuilt when i bought it. had about 10 hours on the rebuild. i know the guy that rebuilt it and i know he did a good job being that this is what he does all the time. its bored one size over. it turned a solid 6800 rpms completely stock at 56.7mph. i threw on the proks and jet kit and it was revving 7100rpms hitting 58.5mph. when i pulled the pump off to change the impeller and ring, i also sealed everything including the shoe to stop the cavitation. there is absolutly zero cavitation. i know its turning less because i need to repitch the 15 20 to get in the 7000rpm range but i know that wont make me hit 65. i will post the pics of the propand pump as soon as i take it off probably tonight. this impeller just arrived ups less than a week ago so its brand new.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    From the numders you mention stock, you were down 150 rpms and 3 mph minimum.

Can you ask the builder if he checked/confirmed the timing when he rebuilt it? If he changed engines, the timing has to be verified and corrected for the new engine. Most of the time if not done this results in a power/max rpm loss as the replacement engines require the timing be advanced over what stock previously was.

Who rebuilt the engine? SBT, Rotax reman, or other?

Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    From the numders you mention stock, you were down 150 rpms and 3 mph minimum.

Can you ask the builder if he checked/confirmed the timing when he rebuilt it? If he changed engines, the timing has to be verified and corrected for the new engine. Most of the time if not done this results in a power/max rpm loss as the replacement engines require the timing be advanced over what stock previously was.

Who rebuilt the engine? SBT, Rotax reman, or other?
    i talked to the guy today and he said that he has not checked the timing with a dealer just put the rebuilt back in and went with it. So i will have that done as soon as i get the chance. but take a look at this wear ring, i rode it a good while before i got to gps it at 61.5 with the new wear ring, it got slower by 1.5 mph when i had it out yesterday so maybe this has a big part to do with the top end. never once had any kind of cavitation. and hear is a picture of the prop which i did bring to a prop shop and got it bent exactly 2mm in on the trailing edges to give me 6900rpms but if the timing is off and i get it readjusted it will be hitting 7000s. Have you ever seen a wear ring to get ate up within only a few rides? i never hit anything with it at all for something to get caught and as you can see the impeller did not get one nick on it. it was made of rubber, i put the other one back on because it was not too bad off and its made of a hard plastic instead
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wear ring one.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	101447   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ring 2.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	101448   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ring 3.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	101449   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	solas.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	101450  

+1
    Your pump is probably cracked and is flexing. Ususally they don't show up untill you tighten them down on the ski. Ohter major problem is the mechanic you trusted already didn't time the engine correctly after a rebuild I BET he didn't align the engine/pump correctly either which can cause prop to bind and eat the pump.

TLR

Quote Originally Posted by TLR View Post
    Your pump is probably cracked and is flexing. Ususally they don't show up untill you tighten them down on the ski. Ohter major problem is the mechanic you trusted already didn't time the engine correctly after a rebuild I BET he didn't align the engine/pump correctly either which can cause prop to bind and eat the pump.

TLR
    well i put the other ring back on and it spins freely with no bind at all, didnt have a problem until i put the new ring on it rubbed but the new ring didnt look 100% round, it kinda looked deformed, i know he aligned the engine with the pump because this guy knows his stuff except for the timing part which i will be doing next week hopefully, if this wear ring blows up i know for sure its the pump thats cracked. thanks

+1
    I only use OEM liners as the rest just dont seem to last as long and deform easily.

Maybe you got a bad ring ??

I replaced the wear ring on my 98 GSXL this past summer. I order a new OEM one and when I got it it had a few flaws, like a one inch cut and a few spots where the liner didn't bond to the ring. I sent it back and got another one. Makes me wonder where all the flaw ones go

Even if it's OEM, inspect it really good for any defects before you install it.

Quote Originally Posted by RacingJake View Post
    Maybe you got a bad ring ??

I replaced the wear ring on my 98 GSXL this past summer. I order a new OEM one and when I got it it had a few flaws, like a one inch cut and a few spots where the liner didn't bond to the ring. I sent it back and got another one. Makes me wonder where all the flaw ones go

Even if it's OEM, inspect it really good for any defects before you install it.
    well i will never buy another ring on ebay, the thing was completely rubber. i put the old one back in because its the oem and it was still in good shape so imma stick with that one. the impeller was jammed in the ring, was almost impsossible to get out

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information