Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Questions on XP buy

I am considering buying a 97 xp and 99 xp on a dual trailer. they are asking $4k for them but I think there is room to work with him. I am waiting on compression tests from him. Said that there are no known problems. Also comes with 2 covers. Anything else I should ask or look for? Obviously its getting a bit chilly here in the NE so is it smart to buy with them running on a hose in the drive way or do you think I should try and take them out on the water? any help would be great!!!!

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Get a wetsuit or whatever it takes and water test each one thouroughly!
    Max rpms for the 97 should be 6850, 6950 for the 99. Any less then 50 rpms for either and there are problems amiss.

Enough can't be said about knowing instead of trusting. I wouldn't come off a cent until you get to ride them.

Check the fuel lines to see if they have been changed. 99's were the worst year. Tempo 8710 were on the originals, and each had the year produced stamped on the sides. If they are black and not gray then they have been changed.

And...welcome to the forum!

thanks for some good advice. what should the compression for each be at. I think there shouldnt be much of a difference between the 2 cylinders either? so check the rps, compression, fuel lines. anything else?

If the engines are sound it will be confirmed by max rpms when you ride them.

Stock is around 145 for both. You need to perform this test yourself, you trust the seller not to lie to you? The thing to look for is less than 10% difference in readings between each cylinder.

Take a flashlight and inspect the pump inlet under the hull. Look at the condition of the prop, are the leading edges smooth or jagged? Is the wear ring in decent shape? All these if found are leverage for decreasing the price. The gel coat on the bottom of the hull should not be worn through, if they were beached the fiberglass will be showing on the keel. If the hull bottoms are beat up it will kill your max speed and fuel efficiency.

If you ride them take a GPS and speed test them in a straight line, with no current. 97 XP s/b 56 (+/- 1) and the 99 s/b 61 (+/- 1).

While riding, pop the hood and remove the trays after a wot run out on the water. Inspect for any water sprayed on your engine, this will indicate a water leak.

When finished riding, before taking them out of the water, tied up at the dock, pop the rear covers and inspect for excessive water in the hull. There should be less than 1/2".

If there are no fuel system issues the engines (once warmed) will start instantly, respond off-idle smoothly and responsively, and rev instantly when the throttle is nailed. If there are any hiccups or stalls, or slight hesitation, there are fuel issues to be addressed. The skis should not prop spin (cavitate) when first nailing the gas. Damaged leading edges on the impeller, and/or a worn wear ring, can cause this.

Is that enough? Now you see why you need to water test them. Let us know how it goes.

WOW, that is a lot to digest. i was trying to get a compression result before i make the trip to see them. They are about 2 - 2 1/2 hrs away. I would like to buy more local but there doesnt seem to be anyone selling. I probably shouldnt bring this up in a seadoo forum, but are there any opinions on polaris? found a good deal on 2 as well.

I guess I should back up a bit and give some background....

Late 20s, wife, 2 kids, looking for some skis to get out on the water. Considered a boat, but thought skis might be more fun. Had a crotch rocket and it was fun just not family oriented. Started looking at one ski then thought why not buy 2 so wife and i can go. Never had a ski or boat for that matter. Dont really know anyone that has a ski. Live right next to a river that many enjoy in the summer. Am going down the right path of buying 2 as opposed to just one and learning ins and outs? I am not super techincal but can do basics.

Late 20s, wife, 2 kids, looking for some skis to get out on the water. Considered a boat, but thought skis might be more fun. Had a crotch rocket and it was fun just not family oriented. Started looking at one ski then thought why not buy 2 so wife and i can go. Never had a ski or boat for that matter. Dont really know anyone that has a ski. Live right next to a river that many enjoy in the summer. Am going down the right path of buying 2 as opposed to just one and learning ins and outs? I am not super techincal but can do basics.[/quote]

XP's are more of a one person ski then two, if you are planning to ride with your kids on the back, or if they are young enough to ride in front of you balancing 2 people on those ski's is very difficult. Something to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    Late 20s, wife, 2 kids, looking for some skis to get out on the water. Considered a boat, but thought skis might be more fun. Had a crotch rocket and it was fun just not family oriented. Started looking at one ski then thought why not buy 2 so wife and i can go. Never had a ski or boat for that matter. Dont really know anyone that has a ski. Live right next to a river that many enjoy in the summer. Am going down the right path of buying 2 as opposed to just one and learning ins and outs? I am not super techincal but can do basics.

XP's are more of a one person ski then two, if you are planning to ride with your kids on the back, or if they are young enough to ride in front of you balancing 2 people on those ski's is very difficult. Something to think about.[/quote] yea. the xp's are more for one person, it can be done but you cant really cut up with 2 people, youll fly off or flip it everytime you want to cut up, but you can easily cruiz on them as long as you and the passenger knows how to lean. i weigh 150 and i rode some one as much as 140 on the back with no problems except when you go to idle then you really have to watch. i also have a polaris 750slt. It's as stable as a boat and can cut up all day with 3 people and they are more fuel efficient. not as fast and has no comparrison in handling with the xp but are more family oriented. my advice is buy one xp and one 3 seater for the kids ha. once you drive the xp and go to the polaris, youre gonna have to have the xp. you wont settle for less. thats what happened to me. i believe the xp is the best handling watercraft ever made in my opinion

another bit of advice on the test run for the xp. trim it up to take off first, then stop trim it down some more and take. try every trim position and if it starts hitting the rev limitter from cavitation you have a problem. this happened with mine.

well abarrassr07, I was considering a pair of 95 slt750s much cheaper... $2k for both and a trailer. seem to be in good shape as well. also considered a 98 slth 750 and 96 sl700 deal for $2800. I figured the xps were the best deal? but then again, not sure??? maybe the xps are not what i am looking for. it sounds like the xp is more of a crotch rocket... can hold 2 people but not as fun. didnt hear too many good things about polaris however. someone made the comment... 'there is a reason they stopped making them' thanks for everyones comments so far. Keep'em coming!

Hey, thanks for the intended use. We can help you out more now that we know that, as others have already contributed.

My wife LOVES my 00XP, and we ride it double all the time. I weight 180 and she weighs 110. She also likes riding it herself. That said, it can be done, and be loads of fun. The other guys above just don't know how to ride...

But...you would like a 98-2002 GTX better with a 99-02 XP. The GTX hull is a three seater, great for towing tubes with the kids, and the wife will love it's stability. I don't know how big your kids are, but this combo would be the best for you. I'd be patient and see what comes up this winter, if the 99 can be purchased separately try that (if in good condition), then continue looking for a GTX. You and your wife can swap riding the XP, as if she loved to ride on your crotch rocket, she'll love the XP too.

I had an 02 GTX, and loved it. I'll be getting another soon. The Polaris I'd stay away from.

i have a 95 slt 750, picked it up for 700 buks in perfect running condition, the sticker expired in 02 and hasnt ran since the day i bought it. went to take it for a test run and it started right up first crank. the handling is really sloppy on them but very fun to cut doughnuts with three people. once you peel off those ugly stripes and clean it up real good they actually look decent. just make sure you inspect them really well and go ride them and let them sit in the water to make sure there are no leaks. mine does 47mph but i was told with a new fuel pump they can run about 55. it has a reverse to. so far i havent had a problem one with mine, it just depends on who had it before you did. I personally would try to get one 750 and the xp because that machine is the best ski to me. dont know why they had to stop making them. good luck only thing with the 750 just make sure the flush cap is screwed on tight.......i sunk mine because it popped off and started taking in water really fast. got water in the engine, about 3 gallons. poured mystry oil all over. and went to cranking untill i got all the water out the plug holes and eventually she fired up again. runs as good as new. the stock accelleration is better on the 750 than the xp though. with proks and a jet kit the xp will be even, and with a new head and impeller ittl blow it out the water. The xp handles the waves really well and doesnt beat you up as it slices through the waves rather than plowing. the 750 however tends to ride rougher in choppy water. go test drive them both and you will see where im coming from with the handling on the xp, specially if you trim it down and start turning.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information