Bertone X1/9---250x conversion?

What sort of HP numbers have you guys seen available from the 250x motor platform? I'm thinking of resurecting one of my Bertone X1/9 bodies and replacing the meek 1.5 liter motor it came with with a 250x motor. Hell, in stock form the 250x motor has 3 times the HP the stock motor was produced with...but I was wondering who out there has numbers to go along with the various mods available. It'd be a big project but pretty interesting. I'm also curious as to the torque ratings on that motor as I have yet to find anyone that has any dyno specs from it. Any input is appreciated.

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    you might honestly be better of starting out with a motor from a honda civic.... the swap will go much easier and the wealth of parts available from it make more than enough power to keep you happy.

I'm considering several options and that is one of them. I'm also checking into the Weber V4 motor they've been testing. One of the things I find attracting with the 250x motor is the weight and compactness of it. The engine bay on an X1/9 is barely larger, width-wise, than a watercraft's engine bay. It'd leave me room to play and add/adapt as necessary.

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    why not a mazda rotary motor or some thing like that? a 4G63 motor from mitsubisi can make 400+ hp on a stock bottom end

Thought about that but I think the halfshaft, from the transaxle to drive the right wheel, will not clear the motor.

But....after thinking about it....a Mitsu powerplant with an all wheel drive X1/9 might be an absolutely fantastic setup and a total blast to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by PWCdoc View Post
    What sort of HP numbers have you guys seen available from the 250x motor platform? I'm thinking of resurecting one of my Bertone X1/9 bodies and replacing the meek 1.5 liter motor it came with with a 250x motor. Hell, in stock form the 250x motor has 3 times the HP the stock motor was produced with...but I was wondering who out there has numbers to go along with the various mods available. It'd be a big project but pretty interesting. I'm also curious as to the torque ratings on that motor as I have yet to find anyone that has any dyno specs from it. Any input is appreciated.
    That would be as wicked and nasty as the witch in the wizard of oz...

Thread Information