Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

pink antifreeze out one pisser not the other

Hi all,
    When I went to hand pump the "pink stuff" into the water intake on my 2003 F12X it used alittle over a gallon before the pink stuff shot out of the pisser hole which was good.
    When I went to do the 2004 R12x the pink stuff did not come out the pisser hole but came out from underneath even after I continued to pump more in to see if eventually it would come out and it never did as I continued to waste antifreeze. Is this normal??
    Thanks
    Todd

mistake

Quote Originally Posted by tgarris View Post
    Hi all,
    When I went to hand pump the "pink stuff" into the water intake on my 2003 F12X it used alittle over a gallon before the pink stuff shot out of the pisser hole which was good.
    When I went to do the 2004 R12x the pink stuff did not come out the pisser hole but came out from underneath even after I continued to pump more in to see if eventually it would come out and it never did as I continued to waste antifreeze. Is this normal??
    Thanks
    Todd

first off your suppost to run the ski and use a funnel , you can very easily hydrolocked your ski doing that!

Quote Originally Posted by tgarris View Post
    Hi all,
    Thanks
    Todd

Sounds like the one way valve from the cooling water intake is bad/stuck. The coolant you added did not get stopped by the valve, and thus was able to return out of the intake side in the jet pump. There is a water hose that runs into the rear of the hull on the opposite side of the pump from your bypass (pisser). Find that, locate the valve, and give it a tug/pull. It should rattle, if not you may need a new one. From what I gather it can be pretty common. I would surmise that you did not get all the coolant where it needed to go, so I would repair/check the valve and do it again to make sure. I can only assume though that the fix is easy.

Yeah I'm a coucher, and proud of it! ticketplease's Avatar
    Again, your NOT suppossed to run your HONDA ski when putting in the antifreeze as cdevido said. as long as you watch your CD that came with the ski you will do it correctly. Do check the valve as J-ME said.

Now I'm confused. Do you run the ski or not? I used the funnel last year while my ski(2005 F-12) was running and it did just fine, with no ill after-effects.

Honda sells a hose adapter to use for this, so I presume someone thinks it's OK to run the ski on the hose.

I build Horsepower
    +1
    Read your manual.

You do Not run the ski while adding antifreeze, The manual states you should first flush the ski as normal (to pre-clean it) This is just a normal hose on, motor on, Flush then turn your ski Off....

Next.

While with engine off connect hose and funnel and add antifreeze.

That's it. and that's the proper way to do it per Honda and their manual

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=77489

Shawn

I did read my manual. It says to flush the system with a garden hose, then use the normal flushing procedure again to inject the antifreeze. I don't know how you protect the ski without displacing the water with the antifreeze throughout the entire cooling system.

I build Horsepower
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by megawatt View Post
    I did read my manual. It says to flush the system with a garden hose, then use the normal flushing procedure again to inject the antifreeze.
    You may of read the manual (I'm talking the OEM service manual not the consumer owners manual) , but you did not comprehend what it says.

You flush the engine as normal then stop the engine as you would after normal flushing, Step #3 IF you live where temperature drops below freezing you follow the next steps.

Those steps do not tell you anywhere you need to start the motor.

Knowing this design for 7 years now please follow the procedure, Its what Honda recommends, nothing more is required.

Shawn

From the 2004 R12x Service manual for your reference below.

STORAGE
    PREPARATION FOR STORAGE
    1. Flush the cooling system (page 5-3).

2. Remove the bilge drain plugs to drain any water.
    Raise the bow (front) of the watercraft about 1
    foot to allow complete draining.

3. When storing the watercraft in an area where the
    temperature drops below freezing, perform the
    following.

Prepare 5 liters (1.3 US gal, 1.1 Imp gal) of coolant
    (1:1 mixture of antifreeze and distilled water).

Connect a garden hose to the water outlet joint
    and attach a funnel into the hose end.

Hold the funnel approximately 130 cm (51 in)
    above the deck and pour 5 liters of the coolant
    into the funnel to fill the engine and exhaust system.

The coolant should come out of the pilot water
    hole.

Remove the hose and funnel.

Nitro, sounds like you've got considerable experience, so I'm not going to argue with you. I guess we're looking at different manuals. I looked online at the Honda OwnerLink site, and pulled up the owner's manual for my ski, and attached (hopefully) is the section on storage, which specifically states that the "normal flushing procedure should be used after hooking up the funnel. I'm only perpetuating this to make sure all the information is on the board.

If Honda has different versions of the manuals, then we've got a problem.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I posted on another site in regards to this question. I too was stumped by the owners manual terminology and the maintenance video. I hemmed and hawed, researched here and there, and read the manual over and over. I decided that the owners manual was telling to FLUSH as normal, then prepare the hose and funnel AS IF I WERE FLUSHING, then add the coolant MANUALLY . It never states directly to insert lanyard and turn on engine in the winterizing section. However, once I learned that there is NO WATER PUMP in this engine I concluded that the coolant will flow just the same by raising the funnel to let gravity take over. The reason water flows through during operation is via the water intake in the jet pump (jet pump suction pushes the water through the system). The only reason we RUN the engine during a FLUSH is to keep the water pressure in the hose from building up and we know THAT end result is water ingestion through the exhaust. That being said, there is NO REASON to run the engine during the addition of coolant. Also, with the engine running, you are susceptible to coolant overload, meaning that the coolant is now coming out the water box, and draining all over the rear of the pump and so on. HONDA, being the environmentally savvy people they are (IMO) don't want you "spilling" antifreeze this way. In the owners manual they also state to use catch containers to catch the fluids that come out, most notably the bypass (pisser). Besides, I would imagine that by running the engine during this, you are susceptible to using far more coolant that necessary. I have read that some people pump it in with hand pumps but I'll tell you, I did it via funnel, no running engine, and it took all 5 quarts for the bypass water to turn green. It was ridiculously easy.
    In closing, once you know how the cooling system works, there is a logical conclusion drawn that the engine does not need to be running. Hope that clears up the vagueness of the owners manual.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information