Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1

    02 XP...few questions

    I am going to be getting an 02 XP with a blown motor. I have a motor I can buy ready to bolt in for 800. Is there anything I need to pay attention to when I go look at the new motor? It came from a 99 GSX Ltd. Will this work in the XP? Thanks
    John


  2. #2
    96XPSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Posts
    4,361
    Same engine, but the MPEM will need to be reprogrammed for the correct timing on that engine.

    Hopefully a more experienced 951 builder (I haven't blown up any yet) can tell you if they mark the rear of the engine like they did the 800's of what timing they are set at.

  3. #3
    So the timing is different on the motor? I'm using the electronics I already have with the XP and being a reed motor the MPEM controls the timing if I'm correct. If I have the MPEM that should use the correct timing or do I still need to do something different?

  4. #4
    The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Odessa, TX
    Posts
    5,364
    Quote Originally Posted by jwick86 View Post
    So the timing is different on the motor? I'm using the electronics I already have with the XP and being a reed motor the MPEM controls the timing if I'm correct. If I have the MPEM that should use the correct timing or do I still need to do something different?
    IF you have the MPEM from the 99 GSX you should be fine if you are using the 02 XP MPEM it may need reprogramming

  5. #5
    I'm still not understanding why I have to reprogram the MPEM. I've done many snowmobile motor swap's and you can use the same CDI box for the same motor. Thats all I'm doing is swapping a 951 for a 951. Can someone please explain why I have to use that MPEM or reprogram mine? Thanks
    John

  6. #6
    SURFnTURF's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    878
    +1
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by jwick86 View Post
    I'm still not understanding why I have to reprogram the MPEM. I've done many snowmobile motor swap's and you can use the same CDI box for the same motor. Thats all I'm doing is swapping a 951 for a 951. Can someone please explain why I have to use that MPEM or reprogram mine? Thanks
    John
    Because the engine has no mechanical means of changing the timing, this is only done with a programmer. The position of the crank sensor is not adjustable that senses when the flywheel passes by every 180 degrees. Every engine can be different due to crank alignment, flywheel alignment, rod lengths, piston pin to top of piston heights, keyway alignment .This all has an effect on timing. Seadoo just builds a heap of engines and then they have to be timed for each application due to variances which I just mentioned. It is easier to just push a few buttons on the programmer and get it perfect than do it mechanically. From memery their is about 5 or 6 different positions that seadoo provide for the variables in manufacturing tolerances which then the engine can only be timed with a timing light and then changed with a programmer.

  7. #7
    96XPSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Posts
    4,361
    Quote Originally Posted by SURFnTURF View Post
    Because the engine has no mechanical means of changing the timing, this is only done with a programmer. The position of the crank sensor is not adjustable that senses when the flywheel passes by every 180 degrees. Every engine can be different due to crank alignment, flywheel alignment, rod lengths, piston pin to top of piston heights, keyway alignment .This all has an effect on timing. Seadoo just builds a heap of engines and then they have to be timed for each application due to variances which I just mentioned. It is easier to just push a few buttons on the programmer and get it perfect than do it mechanically. From memery their is about 5 or 6 different positions that seadoo provide for the variables in manufacturing tolerances which then the engine can only be timed with a timing light and then changed with a programmer.
    +1 There ya go...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 94 xp have a few questions
    By hotrod_sxty8 in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-06-2007, 02:05 PM
  2. 02 XP
    By Island racer in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-25-2006, 05:54 AM
  3. A few questions about my RXP
    By Teddy57 in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-28-2006, 02:22 AM
  4. A few questions...
    By omelfata in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-10-2005, 02:52 PM
  5. Just a few questions.
    By Ed in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-24-2005, 09:16 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •