02 XP...few questions

I am going to be getting an 02 XP with a blown motor. I have a motor I can buy ready to bolt in for 800. Is there anything I need to pay attention to when I go look at the new motor? It came from a 99 GSX Ltd. Will this work in the XP? Thanks
    John

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Same engine, but the MPEM will need to be reprogrammed for the correct timing on that engine.

Hopefully a more experienced 951 builder (I haven't blown up any yet) can tell you if they mark the rear of the engine like they did the 800's of what timing they are set at.

So the timing is different on the motor? I'm using the electronics I already have with the XP and being a reed motor the MPEM controls the timing if I'm correct. If I have the MPEM that should use the correct timing or do I still need to do something different?

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jwick86 View Post
    So the timing is different on the motor? I'm using the electronics I already have with the XP and being a reed motor the MPEM controls the timing if I'm correct. If I have the MPEM that should use the correct timing or do I still need to do something different?
    IF you have the MPEM from the 99 GSX you should be fine if you are using the 02 XP MPEM it may need reprogramming

I'm still not understanding why I have to reprogram the MPEM. I've done many snowmobile motor swap's and you can use the same CDI box for the same motor. Thats all I'm doing is swapping a 951 for a 951. Can someone please explain why I have to use that MPEM or reprogram mine? Thanks
    John

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jwick86 View Post
    I'm still not understanding why I have to reprogram the MPEM. I've done many snowmobile motor swap's and you can use the same CDI box for the same motor. Thats all I'm doing is swapping a 951 for a 951. Can someone please explain why I have to use that MPEM or reprogram mine? Thanks
    John
    Because the engine has no mechanical means of changing the timing, this is only done with a programmer. The position of the crank sensor is not adjustable that senses when the flywheel passes by every 180 degrees. Every engine can be different due to crank alignment, flywheel alignment, rod lengths, piston pin to top of piston heights, keyway alignment .This all has an effect on timing. Seadoo just builds a heap of engines and then they have to be timed for each application due to variances which I just mentioned. It is easier to just push a few buttons on the programmer and get it perfect than do it mechanically. From memery their is about 5 or 6 different positions that seadoo provide for the variables in manufacturing tolerances which then the engine can only be timed with a timing light and then changed with a programmer.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by SURFnTURF View Post
    Because the engine has no mechanical means of changing the timing, this is only done with a programmer. The position of the crank sensor is not adjustable that senses when the flywheel passes by every 180 degrees. Every engine can be different due to crank alignment, flywheel alignment, rod lengths, piston pin to top of piston heights, keyway alignment .This all has an effect on timing. Seadoo just builds a heap of engines and then they have to be timed for each application due to variances which I just mentioned. It is easier to just push a few buttons on the programmer and get it perfect than do it mechanically. From memery their is about 5 or 6 different positions that seadoo provide for the variables in manufacturing tolerances which then the engine can only be timed with a timing light and then changed with a programmer.
    +1 There ya go...

Thread Information