Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

trailer axle question

I have a yacht club single holding the 2005 GTXSC. I want to look at moving the axle above the leaf springs to lower the ride heighth of the ski. I have a 2007 Camry as a tow vehicle, and the lower ride heighth would allow the car to launch without back all the way into the water. It should also assist in streamlining the ski for aerodynamics while being towed.

A buddy of mine did the opposite, where his axle was on top of the leaf springs, and he moved it below the leaf springs...he has a Ford F150. He said the axle location can be changed, but the plastic that covers the top of the wheels would need to be replaced with taller ones so the tires don't rub. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by JP; 10-31-2008 at 11:04 PM. Reason: cause Jer screwed up the title...

Jeremy, been there done that...

if you place the axle on top of the springs, make sure you have enough clearance for spring compression. It will alter the height by approx 1.75-2.50" depending on 2 or 3 piece leaves and 1.5 or 1.75 square axle tube...

If any of your axle harware is rusty, get replacement parts when you do this...

another way: If you have 12" tires, reduce the tire height and run 4.80X8.0 "C" load tires and you`ll be good...

a few pics would allow us to help you out further...
    take some of the tire/wheel combo, axle attachment point at leaves, shackles, Fender relation to Tire, etc...

I posted this trick a while back and everyone said it helps. Most people don't have the trailers set up right to begin with and the dealers don't exactly take the time to set them up properly as well. Depending how yours is set up now you have a free mod here.
    Easiest way to PROPERLY set you trailer up is as follow.
    Get a floor car jack and 2 pieces of wood about 1/2-1 inch thick. Your choice. .
    Step1
    Place the wood on the cross bar of the trailer front and back.
    Step2
    Loosen the bolts that hold the vertical brackets on the trailer for the bunks.
    Step3
    let the ski drop onto the blocks of wood.
    Step4.
    Push the bunks up against the ski and Tighten all the associated hardware that you loosened. All of the skis weight at this time in being supported by the trailer cross brace with the block of wood.
    Step5.
    Jack the ski up slightly and take the wood out

Now your ski has the proper bunk height above the trailer for easy on and off access with out bottoming the V on the cross braces.

Most skis I see are usually anywhere from 1-6 inches to high on the trailer.

With this method you can save yourself a couple of feet on the ramp and your ski will be in the water and your car will not and you can now see over the skis while driving.

hope this helps!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by scittb View Post
    I posted this trick a while back and everyone said it helps. Most people don't have the trailers set up right to begin with and the dealers don't exactly take the time to set them up properly as well. Depending how yours is set up now you have a free mod here.
    Easiest way to PROPERLY set you trailer up is as follow.
    Get a floor car jack and 2 pieces of wood about 1/2-1 inch thick. Your choice. .
    Step1
    Place the wood on the cross bar of the trailer front and back.
    Step2
    Loosen the bolts that hold the vertical brackets on the trailer for the bunks.
    Step3
    let the ski drop onto the blocks of wood.
    Step4.
    Push the bunks up against the ski and Tighten all the associated hardware that you loosened. All of the skis weight at this time in being supported by the trailer cross brace with the block of wood.
    Step5.
    Jack the ski up slightly and take the wood out

Now your ski has the proper bunk height above the trailer for easy on and off access with out bottoming the V on the cross braces.

Most skis I see are usually anywhere from 1-6 inches to high on the trailer.

With this method you can save yourself a couple of feet on the ramp and your ski will be in the water and your car will not and you can now see over the skis while driving.

hope this helps!!!!!
    Great Idea! The only thing i would add is that the first time you unload then later re-load make sure your bow rake will clear the trailer crossmember without hitting or scratching the hull.

I have a trick for that, I covered the rear cross bar in carpet incase the bow comes in contact it will just glide forward and not damage the hull...

in theory it should. Thats the reason for adding the wood while adjusting. The keel is the lowest point on the boat and the block of wood gives you that 1/2 space clearance for loading and unloading. So when the wood comes out your boat is perfectly spaced on the trailer

Quote Originally Posted by scittb View Post
    in theory it should. Thats the reason for adding the wood while adjusting. The keel is the lowest point on the boat and the block of wood gives you that 1/2 space clearance for loading and unloading. So when the wood comes out your boat is perfectly spaced on the trailer
    The reason i mentioned this is that when launching and retrieving the angle of attack is different than when the trailer and ski are level and ready to tow. Just want to be sure the bow doesn't sneek in there between the bunks and hit that crossmember.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RoryO View Post
    The reason i mentioned this is that when launching and retrieving the angle of attack is different than when the trailer and ski are level and ready to tow. Just want to be sure the bow doesn't sneek in there between the bunks and hit that crossmember.
    Thanks guys, I will look into the ski heighth on the trailer, and try to get some pics of the trailer as Andy suggested. --jeremy

+1
    pics of trailer

Nevermind the scar on the bottom hull. Rookie mistake happened 3 years ago.

Disregard the hungry puppy. Konig (call name: "Konig" von Auserkoren= German, meaning King) Pronounced: "QUE nig"

No, the tricycle is not my pull vehicle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_6709.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	595.8 KB 
ID:	102115   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_6710.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	600.0 KB 
ID:	102116   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_6711.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	531.1 KB 
ID:	102117   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_6712.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	730.8 KB 
ID:	102118   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_6713.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	502.2 KB 
ID:	102119  

+1

more

more pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_6714.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	589.1 KB 
ID:	102120   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_6715.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	555.3 KB 
ID:	102121  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information