Canadian POWERHOUSE CanadianGPR's Avatar
    +1

Piston wash question

How long does it take to form on the piston after a carb adjustment?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianGPR View Post
    How long does it take to form on the piston after a carb adjustment?
    this one varies greatly, it depends on what rpm ranges you are in and how long you are in each. and the air/fuel ratio will be effected by air temp as well. the colder the air the leaner you will run. if you try to adjust your carbs now, looking for just the right ratio and its, say fifty degrees out, you will find that next summer in 75 degrees you will be running rich. best is to get it where you want it in weather that you normally run in. i am just assuming that right now it is colder than what you normally run in. to compinsate you can look to set it so that their is less wash on top of the piston (a little lean) to guesstimate for the normal temps you will run next season, just watch those long wide open stretches, lean is fast and also deadly as you know. all said and done you are looking at a couple hours run time to see the change on the piston. check the plug color range, it tells the story alot quicker. fifteen minutes on fresh plugs will tell you alot. light brown is about right, but again air temp is not the norm right now for your normal riding. the lighter the plug the leaner it is, chalk white, to lean, dark brown/wet, to rich, hope this helps. we use this procedure alot in two stroke sleds.

+1
    You rang??

Depends...but usually within the first tank, you can get an pretty good read on what is happening. I have checked after 20-30 minutes of running and get an "indication" of what is taking place. You can sometimes see if you are too lean by the wash or lack of it...if the top of that piston is black/sooty and no port wash happening..you have a problem.

Best thing to do is to take pictures and let the engine doctors on board diagnose it for you.

Canadian POWERHOUSE CanadianGPR's Avatar
    +1
    Thanks Wavereater and of course you Pistonwash. I just recently rebuilt my motor so I want to get in the ballpark and fine tune it later. My only problem is I ride year round. Even in some temps below 32 degrees. So I may have to have summer setting and winter settings. I don't mind running it rich. I'm not a total speed freak but do like to go fast I plan on pulling the head this weekend.

Right now I am running 6940rpms on a ported 1300 with a concord 14/24. Was running 7280 with the 13/19 with out touching the carbs. Switch to the 14/24 and dropped to 6830 and started playing with the carbs and got some rpms back. Just want to go slow and not burn up this motor.

Thread Information