Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Here come the smokers! OBXJeepGuy's Avatar

Crank Advice Needed....

I am wondering which is better.... Should I have my current crank trued, and welded? Or should I just buy a Hotrodz crank with that stuff already done? When I do my build, I will be on a tight budget of course... I will be doing the Group K 90mm/845cc upgrade.
    Posted via Mobile Device

+1
    How many hours on current crank? how does it look? and last how does it check out? The manual has a few tests you can do to determine wear.

As of now it has 115 hours, or so. I haven't even pulled it apart yet. Thanks for the info! I may just max out the 760 as it is, and wait for it to wear out, or whatever before I do this build. (can still use all the speed parts) This would be easier if I had an extra comlplete 760 laying around.
    Posted via Mobile Device

I will be on a tight budget of course... Well there's nothing wrong with the OEM. I ran a 1500 single all last summer.......still perfect to this day. Also a 1300 tripple, ran that all this summer........hard too. Both are regular stock. JMO. On a budget? stick with stock.

+1
    Since you are going to the 845 overbore and porting, I would think that I would at least true and weld the crank. Crankworks can do that for you, and inspect it for anything that might need replaced at the same time. Stock is good stuff, and the true weld will ensure that it stays that way.

I run2 hot rods cranks 1 trued and welded .. I really like them and Honestly I feel better with new HR cranks vs my other inspected , trued, welded OEM Crankworks crank

Quote Originally Posted by peteshauling View Post
    I will be on a tight budget of course... Well there's nothing wrong with the OEM. I ran a 1500 single all last summer.......still perfect to this day. Also a 1300 tripple, ran that all this summer........hard too. Both are regular stock. JMO. On a budget? stick with stock.
    If those cranks are stock without welding then you are the luckiest man alive in my opinion. I have never needed a welded crank with the Kawasakis but the Yamaha triple is a totally different animal....I wouldnt idle across the river with an unwelded crank on the GPR.

Quote Originally Posted by LT1GMC View Post
    Since you are going to the 845 overbore and porting, I would think that I would at least true and weld the crank. Crankworks can do that for you, and inspect it for anything that might need replaced at the same time. Stock is good stuff, and the true weld will ensure that it stays that way.
    Yeah, I want to make sure I don't grenade the bottom end.. Group K says it will turn more RPM, so the crank is a concern. But from a money, and quality standpoint, I wanted to find out which would be better. I guess a call to Crankworks is in order...
    Posted via Mobile Device

Is there anyone on the East Coast somene can recommend for doing crank work?
    Posted via Mobile Device

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by OutlawGPR View Post
    If those cranks are stock without welding then you are the luckiest man alive in my opinion. I have never needed a welded crank with the Kawasakis but the Yamaha triple is a totally different animal....I wouldnt idle across the river with an unwelded crank on the GPR.
    you worry too much,jims motor done 600 hours on same crank,ben herman has run triple pipes with standard crank!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information