Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question need some expert advice here

Just wondering what everyone thinks will be my best investment for the winter on my ski...got about 5-6 months before I can go out again and wanna do some modifying...Was thinking about doing the whole turbo thing and also thought about just doing the valve train and ecu upgraded and calling it good?? So far all you experts out there I ask...which will put a bigger smile on my face and and further distance between me and anyone one else...Thanks in advance

+1
    if you have an 04, the first thing I would do is replace the valves

+1
    From my readings, the valvetrain upgrade and ECU are a definite plus. I am hesitant to go turbo because of heat, cost, maintenance, etc...however EngineerMike keeps squashing all of those. Holler at EMike.

+1
    I like my turbo ski. It's definitely fast and cheap to build if you do it yourself.

However. . . it's not for anyone who wants a trouble-free ride-all-weekend-with-no-worries ski. I've been towed back more than once by other board members, and I see where others with similar projects have similar experiences.

My mod's are very limited and it's going 83+ mph. It's simply a GT32 Garrett turbo, my own custom jacketed stainless piping, an AEMPower F/IC with 62 lb injectors, and a super tall Skat prop.

Mike

+1
    Told ya...

Smile

Sorry but for most people myself (a watercraft mechanic of 20+ yrs)any time you build a high horse project and use one of parts and things ,you are going to spend more time building and repairing than riding.I myself prefer building and repair(i love riding ) thats my therapy.But if you want a dependable everyday fast ski,buy one of the engineered ones that have had thousands of hrs of design testing etc.(seadoo still gets it wrong at times) BUt it will be a lot more dependable buying a rxp (cheaper too) than trying to build a 70+mph ski from scratch!!JMHO>Marvin

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by dpoole5074 View Post
    Just wondering what everyone thinks will be my best investment for the winter on my ski...got about 5-6 months before I can go out again and wanna do some modifying...Was thinking about doing the whole turbo thing and also thought about just doing the valve train and ecu upgraded and calling it good?? So far all you experts out there I ask...which will put a bigger smile on my face and and further distance between me and anyone one else...Thanks in advance
    Add a ET68-140 or 2 Rude and all the other needed goodies and you'll have a huge smile..
    When I swapped from a Riva S3 SC to the Rude1 I couldn't believe the difference, then after two hours I pulled the Rude1 off and added the ET68-140 and once again I couldn't believe how hard it pulled.
    If tuned correctly you'll have plenty of distance between you and most other boats.

thanks for all the responses, so either way I go I guess I wil be doing the valve train reguardless so I can start there...as for the turbo I am still not sure what I want...what is the best kit for the valve train to install and does jerry have it??...We will start there for now and continue onward...

well just read hydro's post's and with the set up he came up with I think I will be going with his set up for the turbo...for one I have a 08 RXP that we use for rec. use and my 04 is for ME...so I am going all out (she can tow me back if needed...lol)...thanks for all the advice though it will be stored and used as needed...thanks again and I will let you know how it works...

+1
    To run a turbo you are going to need some type of electrical fuel control as well as big injectors and an RRFPR. I think that most are running one of the after market ECUs with the right injectors and RRFPR tuned correctly. However E Mike has had good results with his FMIC setup. I am not aware how this works so wont go into details. I think that you would have a real hard time running a turbo on the stock ECU. Im sure others will chime in. R88

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information