Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

96 GSX no Start!!! Lil Help

I have a 96 Seadoo GSX. I recently rebuilt the motor and everything was fine. Started great. I went to detail it and while buffing it the lanyard for the DESS got wrapped around the buffer and before I could turn off the buffer the lanyard was wrapped aorund the buffer A LOT...so I plugged it back in and nothing. So I ordered a new Key from the dealer. I went and had the key programmed by the dealer and he said my battery was low. I thought 'whatever', so I brought the ski back to the house and plugged in my charger. After charging for an hour or so I plugged in the DESS again and the instrument cluster warning lights come on for about 5 seconds then cuts out. And this happens everytime I press the Start button. I checked the solenoid and it is ok. I know there are 2 pins on the solenoid that should register '0' ohms when the starter button is depressed but I am pretty confident that this isn't even getting that far. because if it were it would turn over...which it is not. So the fact that the ski is responding to the DESS when I plug it in ...for the first 5 seconds. Is this ok or could it be a bad DESS post? Or did I fry my ECU somehow...

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    did you unhook your battery before you started charging? did you have it on 12V engine crank or just 12V 10AMP? Either way opent the MPEM and see if you blew a fuse...id start there. if it keeps blowing you have other problems.

Airborne...thanks!

Ok here is the scoop...
    I know you guys get some idiots here <GSXRYDER is not an IDIOT usually>

The fuses were my first check...then I jumped the solenoid...it cranked, then I passed voltage through the solenoid relay circuit and that again cranked, I plugged in the DESS and measured resistance across the 2 pins for the solenoid relay circuit (OPEN) then I measured resistance between the pins on the wires for the DESS...

There are 3 wires on the DESS All are normally OPEN meaninng with no DESS on there is nothing between them (resistance wise) all are open circuits... after I plug in the DESS these are the readings

White/grey............. Black ..................Black/Yellow............. (ignore the dots on this line I had to do it for formatting)
    <______OPEN________> <_____OPEN_______>
    <___________________.8 Ohms____________>

Anyone know if these are good or Bad...don't want to waste money buying parts..

Before I come across as an IDIOT let me say thanks in advance!!!

+1
    Sorry, bro. Didn't mean to insult your intelligence. I just figured that i'd start simple then get to the nitty gritty.

tis ok

Airborne...at least ur pipin up...

Anyone have any more input?

Thanks

+1
    maybe something that you have already checked... have you checked the plugs when turning it over to see if you are getting spark? I remember mine did something similar to your issue. I had to replace the coil and trim back the plug wires a bit.

Airborne

This is not an ignition problem...this is a no start condition. There is no signal getting to the solenoid. If I jump the starter, it engages the starter....if i jump the solenoid it cranks...if i jump the front side of the solenoid it cranks...I had a new DESS programed it didn't work... so not sure if the problem is the DESS post or the MPEM... CHeck the readings on my DESS post...thanks again...this is a NO CRANK condition starter will not engage...

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    You haven't mentioned what beeps you are getting when you plug in your lanyard? One or two?

Beeps

This ski Never Beeped at all....let me lay this scenario in case it isn't clear

Imagine this scenario...you have just rebuilt an engine in the seadoo, it is statting almost instantly. It runs fine and revs fine. You have started it 40 or 50 times...just for a min or two...hasn't seen water yet. So, you take the jetski out of the garage to kind of polish it up. When the buffer you are using accidentally hits the lanyard you left in the ignition...it spins around the buffer fast, because the button is on the top of the buffer you cannot hold it, so you yank the wire out of the wall.

The key doesn't look right. So, you order a new one from the dealer. You take the seadoo to the dealer for the key to get reprogrammed and he says your battery is low...but the program took. So I take the ski home, and plug the charger in it sits overnight and the next day...NOTHING. All fuses have been checked...You plug in the DESS and the relay under the hood you hear 'click' but nothign else.

So, you jump the solenoid, it cranks, then you energize the front side of the solenoid and it cranks, then you measure the resistance with the key in the ingnition and the starter button depressed and it shows an open circuit (should show shorted at this point). Then you measure the resistance between the pins on the DESS cable...and these are the results
    There are 3 wires on the DESS All are normally OPEN meaninng with no key in there is nothing between them (resistance wise) all are open circuits... after I plug in the DESS these are the readings

White/grey............. Black ..................Black/Yellow...
    <______OPEN________> <_____OPEN_______>
    <___________________.8 Ohms____________>

checked all the fuses again and measured battery voltage 12.84...that is where I am right NOW

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Ok, you need to buy another beeper. Or bum one off another ski to temporarily plug in. I think you are spot-on with the diagnosis. I'm skeptical the program took, and since you have no double beep, (the only way to confirm) you are left scratching your head. Does the gauges stay powered up longer when the lanyard is installed, or equal to just pushing the start/stop button? If equal, the lanyard isn't programmed or the lanyard post is bad too.

Buy a beeper!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information