Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned User
    +1

WTB new digital camera-what should I get

After looking at the pictures of Young, Hydrotoys, Skips cool girlfriend, and a few others, I've decided to ditch my little digital camera, and get one of the new mondo cool digital camera's, before I go on my "trip".

I don't know much about cmos chips, or the other ones out there, so I need some advice. I have a lot of 35mm camera experience, and have a few Nikons, but nobody uses film anymore. So, what do I do with on old Nikon F2??

I want something that has good quality, and a great lense. Something in the focal lengh of 28mm to about 300mm, image stabilization, and ???

I would also like it to use SD memory, but CF is fine as well. Also, If possible, I would like to be able to shoot high speed movies, or at least 5 frames per second.

I'm outta my league here, so any advice you "experts" can provide would be appreciated.

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    Most of those good looking photos are being shot with DSLR cameras. Most of the people I know on here went with the Nikon D Series cameras. I have a Sony Alpha Series because of the built in stabilization. All that I know of require a cf card and don't record video. A lot of the nicer photos are from the photographer having the correct lens for the correct focal length.

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    The Sony I have and the Nikon D60.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8942512_sa.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	101701   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8721733_ra.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	72.7 KB 
ID:	101702  

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    Look at this thread. http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=77720 Jerry has a Nikon D Series with a good Micro lens.

+1
    iflyems,
    I got the Nikon D70S with the 18-70mm lens, this is pretty good camera, I prefer the Nikon lens myself, I used to use Canon but I think the Nikon is sharper but that is only my opinion. The D90 is even newer and better, and takes video too. I suggest you take a look at Ken Rockwell's reviews, to me he has the best write ups on digital cameras, here's a link to his site:
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d70s.htm
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d90.htm

Banned User
    +1
    Boy, he sure likes the Nikon.

I'm a huge fan of Nikons. I had my first Nikon when I was 15, and even before that, I used my grandfathers Nikon F2, which I later inherited. Sadly, all my photographic skills were with 35mm, and now a days, there's no dark room to play in. This Photoshop program just numbs my brain. Too many things to mess with.

I'm leaning towards the Nikon though because I'm familiar with the quality, and I don't think anyone makes better lenses.

I do like the Casio EXILIM Pro EX-F1, and its smaller brother. They both have the ability to shoot very high speed shoots(1000fps), but I don't think the quality is where it needs to be. It can also shoot HD video, which might come in handy, but for $1000...I think I'll wait to see some more reviews.

I guess Ill do the opposite and tell you that I just recently got a Canon EOS XSI and I love it! The 12.2 mega pixel produces amazing pictures and can take continuous shots up to 20 images I believe. I also got a 75-300mm lens that I end up using more than I do the standard 18-35mm. Ill attach a few images to show you the quality.

Banned User
    +1
    I have a 10 megapixel point and shoot. What do you do with all those megapixels?? I've taken the exact same shots at 5 megapixels, and 10 megapixels, and can't tell the difference. What am I missing here?

Its all in the clarity of the image at different sizes. For instance lets say you are view an image that is your standard 4X6 print, both the 5 and 10 megapixel images will look almost identical, now lets blow both of those up to an 8X10 the 5 megapixel will begin to show some distortion and become pixelated where as the 10mp will still be clear as day with no pixelation. I'm sure there is more to it but this is a very simplistic way to try and explain it. Pretty much the more megapixels you have the larger and clearer the picture can and will be.

david

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information