This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

ultra 150 engine cases filling with oil

This poor guy has no luck at all....

....8 months(!) for some hack to replace his top end ( and who replaces just top end on an engine with a melted piston anyway?)

....gets the ski back and withing 30 seconds the throttle is stuck wide open and he's doing 40 heading right at the beach

...I get involved and find that one of the intake manifold gaskets isn't installed correctly ( and how much of a doofus do you have to be to muck that up?, it has locating pins on it for crying out loud) and it's caught the thottle plate..hence sticking the carbs full on.

..all ready to go right?..well not..under the advice of the first "mechanico" he tosses a quart of injection oil into the tank for "break in"..a bit much oil methinks..but that's besides the point, we drain it all and pur some fresh pump gas in there.

see where this is going?

get a lake call the next day, his ski is staling out randomly...

I get out there and whamo..the starter craps as soon as I try to get on it to test it out.

new starter.....

now after waiting almost a month to get paid on this one, I go to start it up today and it spits out so much smoke I'm surprsied the fire department didn't come over.

i go to roll the ski out of the shop ( cough cough) and it leaves a trail of injector oil (from the exhuast outlet) on my brand new concrete driveway.

so..tale of woe aside..

my swags...

oil pump ( looks new to me) is stuck wide open and oil is draining into the crankcases

the check valve for the balancers are both missing or stuck open

this fellow has some incredible bad luck starting wit the engine seizing ( and swags aside, there was no explanation provided as to why it crapped in the first place)

so K gurus..what would YOU do?

Either convince him to allow you to pull it and go all the way through it or trade it for a four stroke. Then be his ONLY mechanic from now on. No telling what else is frigged up that you haven't seen yet.

+1
    I'd go get a can of lacquer thinner and clean the oil off the driveway.

+1

after a careful examination of the manual

it's my assumption that there is shrapnel from the piston melt down stuck in the crankcase oil check valves, allowing the entire complement of oil injected into the balancer shafts to enter then lower crankcases.

of course there is no reasonable explanation as to how the shrapnel got into the balancer areas.

I would guess since this ski is likely not to get fixed this winter, we can mark the level of injector oil in the tank and see where it is in three months. I figure by then the first time the engine is cranked the crankcase seals will blow out, so I'll get to fix this engine the right way.

more interesting Japanese engineering, guess they didn't have any of those crankcase water drain valves from the old sx series left over.

Pull the oil injector line off the 2nd carb and get a small cup/bottle of some sorts and route the line to the bottle. Try to keep the entire line below the oil tank. There should be next to no oil found in the bottle, if any is found to be slowly leaking out something must be wrong with the oil pump.

The check valves would be my next spot to look, however I don't think a stuck check valve would cause excess oil into the case. The pump just fills the balancer cavity up with oil until it reaches the level of the check valve, then the oil spills over into the case. But I don't have any experiences with a failed check valve.

+1

thanks1

while I never trust a new part complete, this would be a pretty weird failure.

there was oil leaking out of the exhaust pipe this afternoon. not good.

I'll get this guy to fill the injector tank a bit and spend some time out on the lake...we're still on the original problem of stalling out randomly.

Thread Information