+1

R&D Plate lost hook-up

We tested the R&D plate on the SHO yesterday, and found much the same result as the Riva plate on the 250x. Good ride, more speed, but the down side is not as good of hook-up in the chop. Sure you can trim down but still the boat will un-hook and to much down trim starts scrubbing off speed. So have mixed feelings about it at present.
    We are running the Riva grate, R&D 13/23, R&D plate, Riva power filter, Riva manifold upgrade.
    Showing a strong 7500 rpms yesterday with a good strong pull right through the rev range.
    Sorry did'nt take the gps, will do next time.

It's not the destination, it's the journey!! Rip'nTear SHO's Avatar
    What was the size of the chop u were in.......and what setting were u trimmed at?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip'nTear SHO View Post
    What was the size of the chop u were in.......and what setting were u trimmed at?
    Hi Mate, About two foot chop with wind in the harbour, tried all different trim settings, find 3/4 best for top end, tried tucking down to stay hook-up but not much help except for scrubbing speed.
    Having said all that we went out what we call the cut into the open sea, the water was real sloppy coming from all angles and about 5 foot high. I didn't notice any loss of hook-up in this stuff, and liked the fact that bow steer feeling had gone away. Cheers

i did try and tell you's, its only good on the smooth, if your looking for anything else this plate actually sucks

fussy, how is the skat 13/23 to your sho? did it give you any speed gains?

Quote Originally Posted by squid52 View Post
    i did try and tell you's, its only good on the smooth, if your looking for anything else this plate actually sucks
    squid.....question...have u ridden a SHO with Jim's R&D ride plate?

what r u basing ur information and evaluating from? Thats a pretty strong statement to make........where r u riding and in what conditions? This is the type of information u need to share if ur gonna make a comment like that? It's ok to have an opinion...but back it up with better info or it sounds 'trollish'.....

this is an eval from the other thread....pretty much sums up my eval of the R&D plate with Jim's modifications on my SHO.........
    If u read the thread, u'd see that my plate was cut for offSHOre riding and CC aggressive carving...not for 'speed'. I'm not getting into the particulars of Jim's mods and plate angles (cuz i honestly dont know the variances between a 'rough water' plate and a 'speed' plate).....and if i did i wouldnt say because thats Jims expertise and it's not free.

what i can tell u is that the ski carves and transitions much more smoothly, is more playful,
    doesnt scrub as much speed in corners, picked up top speed, and the hull doesnt fall into the 'holes' as much as the stock 'extended plate' seemed to do offSHOre......worth the money?

I think so...porpoising is more pronounced but i shimmed the plate and its gone now............the ski overall is much better balanced as far as its ability to 'do-it-all'...i.e. offSHOre, aggressive carving, wavejumping, cruising, top-speed.......

If im doing an race in really rough conditions (4-5 ft) i might put the stock plate back on....otherwise...the R&D with Jims Mods is without a doubt superior to the stock plate....PERIOD!! And yes....plate makes a difference but offSHOre...the rider is the one who makes a huge difference......just because u have an offSHOre ski doesnt mean u can go fast offSHOre...........and if ur a good rider like my boy Chris or Steve Freibe.....u can haul azz in the ruffstuff and beat ppl with offSHOre skis using a 'flat-water' 2-seater

Food for thought....

enjoy your plate, ile keep my info to myself. i like to tell people what my findings are but ile keep the particulars to myself
    i know im being a prick but its my money

who else here thinks that you get any gain (top end wise) with the R&D monster wheel, if you think you do then go ahead and buy 1

Quote Originally Posted by squid52 View Post
    enjoy your plate, ile keep my info to myself. i like to tell people what my findings are but ile keep the particulars to myself
    i know im being a prick but its my money

who else here thinks that you get any gain (top end wise) with the R&D monster wheel, if you think you do then go ahead and buy 1

if ur gonna post you r opinion, back it up. We're all sharing with each other here in the quest to get more speed out out of our skis.

SQUID: "U guys r wrong...that part/mod sucks.

GH MEMBERS: Really? When have u tried this mod/part Squid? On what ski? In what conditions? What effect did it have on the ski's performance?

SQUID: well i cant tell you cuz...well....cuz....ummmm....cuz i cant tell you.....

If u cant back it up...then shut it up

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by timmy_philson View Post
    fussy, how is the skat 13/23 to your sho? did it give you any speed gains?
    We didn't have the gps with us on the day. All I know is it did a better job beside the ultra 250 than it did before the prop went on. Something that impressed me was the mid range, it felt strong. The best thing of all was not hitting that dam rev limter.
    If the ultra didn't have the timing mod done the SHO would be faster, the ultra is going to take some stopping now showing consistent 72mph gps runs.
    We need to try yet on dead flat water and see how they go. Will let you know some gps speeds when we do it. Cheers

Thread Information