Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 46
  1. #1
    abarrassr07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    424

    98 xpl seized!! help and info

    well, i was going to a speed run to see how much of a gain i got with the new impeller, engine was running fine got it warm and rode for a while b4 i openned her up all the way, at wot the ski lunged forward, thought it hit something and it just stopped running. thought the pump was jammed. not the case, all it does is click, it trys to turn over but doesn't, i pulled the head off pushed the mag side piston in all the way down freely but the pto side doesnt budge. i will be taking the cylinders off tonight. what caused this? oil injection was working fine, 85ls 167.5hs and were set to closed as i was advised to do. ran fine the last 3 times i took it out. and how do i know if its lack of oil or fuel? the walls are kinda light tan but didnt get to pull the pistons yet to see the rest? should i go to premix as well and what exactly should my carbs be at. i have prok filters and a ada 50cc head.


  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    70

    Gulp!

    Quote Originally Posted by abarrassr07 View Post
    well, i was going to a speed run to see how much of a gain i got with the new impeller, engine was running fine got it warm and rode for a while b4 i openned her up all the way, at wot the ski lunged forward, thought it hit something and it just stopped running. thought the pump was jammed. not the case, all it does is click, it trys to turn over but doesn't, i pulled the head off pushed the mag side piston in all the way down freely but the pto side doesnt budge. i will be taking the cylinders off tonight. what caused this? oil injection was working fine, 85ls 167.5hs and were set to closed as i was advised to do. ran fine the last 3 times i took it out. and how do i know if its lack of oil or fuel? the walls are kinda light tan but didnt get to pull the pistons yet to see the rest? should i go to premix as well and what exactly should my carbs be at. i have prok filters and a ada 50cc head.
    Sux to be U-

    Sounds to me like you are going to need at least...
    Check oil injector pump! Did you have any oil in it when you stopped? Sounds to me like you may have run out of oil...Ive been running your jet combo for awhile with no probs at all, so unless you have a modified pipe...this jet combo works great with a stock pipe!!!
    A new crank and bearings... to rebuild the lower end...and top end
    New bores
    new pistons
    rebuild gasket kit
    remachining of the new bores to match the pistons

    You are in for some work...but have fun! you will learn a lot about your ski and how to make it better...

  3. #3
    96XPSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Posts
    4,362
    Sounds like you threw a rod. Had the engine ever been hydrolocked? Hopefully your cases aren't busted.

    I'll keep my fngers crossed...

  4. #4
    abarrassr07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    424
    Quote Originally Posted by GSXRYDER View Post
    Sux to be U-

    Sounds to me like you are going to need at least...
    Check oil injector pump! Did you have any oil in it when you stopped? Sounds to me like you may have run out of oil...Ive been running your jet combo for awhile with no probs at all, so unless you have a modified pipe...this jet combo works great with a stock pipe!!!
    A new crank and bearings... to rebuild the lower end...and top end
    New bores
    new pistons
    rebuild gasket kit
    remachining of the new bores to match the pistons

    You are in for some work...but have fun! you will learn a lot about your ski and how to make it better...
    have a full tank of oil. ran fine all summer n rejetted and did fine till now. im guessing i have to lift the engine out the ski? how much of a hassel is it to go to a 1050 big bore?

  5. #5
    abarrassr07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    424
    Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    Sounds like you threw a rod. Had the engine ever been hydrolocked? Hopefully your cases aren't busted.

    I'll keep my fngers crossed...
    Has anyone heard anything good about the hot rod cranks on the riva website, im thinkin about just buying one of those with some new pistons and bore it out providing the crankcase is not messed up. the crank in there probably seen a lot of abuse from the last owner as the engine was blown when the last guy bought it and did not replace the crank. im seriously thinking about going to the 1050, what all has to be done besides shaving the rave valves?

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    441
    "how much of a hassel is it to go to a 1050 big bore? "

    LOL, A LOT. Are you a really good & patient tuner?

    TLR

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    70

    get the cylinders off

    Then you can make an assessment, it is gonna take about 15 minutes to get the cylinders off... you can see if the rods broke, which I presume, or you have some other freak issue, but since it did not run out of oil your actual damages may be less...

    The big bore may give you more HP but, your reliability suffers...so you make the call, after rebuilding you can put some 'modest' tweaks head, pipe, and jets that will give increased performance at little risk, once you go to the big bores you change the number of people that can give you good advice about your ski to a few hundred versus thousands that have the 951...

  8. #8
    abarrassr07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    424
    well heres the bad news........he crank case looks damaged before i can even take the crank out, rod broke and is jammed in the case, did this happen from throwing on a 50cc head and 15 20 impeller? or is it just from wear on the crank. had pieces of the reed in my prok filters. so what yall think, new engine basically. it doesnt seem to be running lean to me or am i just completely wrong, either way that wouldnt cause me to throw a rod would it? im also thinking about putting a hot rod crank, its bored one size over, would it be safe to go to the third size over and keep reliabillity?

  9. #9
    abarrassr07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    424
    forgot the pics....and this was done at 6900 rpms. looks like a grenade went off
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crank.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	102014   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cylinder pto.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	102015   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00096.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	102016   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mag side.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	102017   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mag side 1.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	102018   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	piston 1.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	102019  

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	piston 2.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	102020   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	piston 3.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	102021   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	reed cage, crank.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	102022  

  10. #10
    96XPSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Posts
    4,362
    Quote Originally Posted by abarrassr07 View Post
    forgot the pics....and this was done at 6900 rpms. looks like a grenade went off
    It was hydrolocked before you bought it. This is the result, usually happens within 10 hours of the flood. Time for a Rotax Reman.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Need help and info!!!!!!
    By tomanytoys06 in forum Kawasaki How To & FAQs
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-28-2010, 08:54 PM
  2. M16 reed help and info
    By Inkaddict in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-08-2008, 06:20 PM
  3. 98 XPL step help
    By race24x in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-29-2008, 12:01 PM
  4. XPL jetting help - big bore and coffmans
    By peachypete82 in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-08-2008, 02:31 AM
  5. ???best grate and rideplate for a 98 XPL???
    By rapidacceleration in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-06-2007, 06:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •