Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

silicone spray on my 2007 rxp black plastic and it killed it?

hello all, while winterizing today (all's well except for lubing the splines on the jet pump but maybe i don't need to do that?) i got a bit carried away and after rinsing out the bilge very well and using a leaf blower to push most of the water out and then soaking everything well with CRC-656, i had a can of heavy duty silicon spray. So i sprayed some hoses and whatnot in the bilge and then sprayed the rear bucket and the opas wings which worked well, but then and for some reason i had the genius idea to spray the black plastic on the nose a bit to see if it could shine it up... and holy crap the spray seems to have ruined the shine in fact... sort of hazy now. not bubbled or dissolved, just a grainy matt finish that looks sort of texturized. these are the two pieces on either side of the bow trunk and also the black integrated wraparound piece in the nose. it looks like crap and seems permanently scarred but simple silicone spray.

What gives? Am I the only one who has ever done this?

Yup, should have tested a small spot first, but i figured what's the worst that could happen? yes indeed the worst is all the 3 black pieces on the nose are screwed. All the other texturized black plastic is fine. it appears only to have screwed up the shiny pieces. Any solutions or ideas????

How much to put on new ones?

Thanks all...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jerseyshore View Post
    hello all, while winterizing today (all's well except for lubing the splines on the jet pump but maybe i don't need to do that?) i got a bit carried away and after rinsing out the bilge very well and using a leaf blower to push most of the water out and then soaking everything well with CRC-656, i had a can of heavy duty silicon spray. So i sprayed some hoses and whatnot in the bilge and then sprayed the rear bucket and the opas wings which worked well, but then and for some reason i had the genius idea to spray the black plastic on the nose a bit to see if it could shine it up... and holy crap the spray seems to have ruined the shine in fact... sort of hazy now. not bubbled or dissolved, just a grainy matt finish that looks sort of texturized. these are the two pieces on either side of the bow trunk and also the black integrated wraparound piece in the nose. it looks like crap and seems permanently scarred but simple silicone spray.

What gives? Am I the only one who has ever done this?

Yup, should have tested a small spot first, but i figured what's the worst that could happen? yes indeed the worst is all the 3 black pieces on the nose are screwed. All the other texturized black plastic is fine. it appears only to have screwed up the shiny pieces. Any solutions or ideas????

How much to put on new ones?

Thanks all...
    $34 for the nose piece, and $12 for each of the two rear corner pieces. $34 + $12 + $12 = $58 + ~$10 shipping = $68

+1
    Stick with Fluid Film. Haven't had a problem on any surface.

when you say the "Rear corner pieces" for $12 each, do you mean the side pieces on the bow truck area? can i order them from any dealer?

Silence! I Keel You! earthshaker's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by rangermtb5 View Post
    Stick with Fluid Film. Haven't had a problem on any surface.
    YUP, and i'll bet 5 bucks the damaged was caused by the solvent content in the product. Fluid Film=no solvent just 100% top quality raw materials without the cheap cut.

+1
    when you say the "Rear corner pieces" for $12 each, do you mean the side pieces on the bow truck area? can i order them from any dealer?
    Dealer schmealer! Order here, and help keep the site running.

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....artsfinder.htm

It is the store that is listed on the left of the page...on every page.

looking at that site now! yes indeed dealer schmealer!

how do I save $180?

I think that it has to do with "How to buy a used impeller."... Ron

+1
    looking at that site now! yes indeed dealer schmealer!

how do I save $180?
    I was saying ...Let Jerry be your dealer for parts. IT will help keep this site running.

Saving $180???...Don't buy anything from Viper450. He sold me an impeller with worn splines and charged me $180...blamed it on me.

Try some Kiwi liquid black shoe polish...before you replace these parts.

Wait a whlie (let the silicon dry completely), before you do this.

I used the Kiwi on my 'scarred' rub rails...and they look pretty good!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information