Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

ARP Studs in turbo ski need to be retorqued?

My RXP Turbo is pushing coolant at only 14psi of boost. The coolant tank gets empty.

The head might be lifting uder boost.?????&%$

I never retorqued the ARP studs. they are set to 90psi. I know in cars you need to retorque ARP studs after 5-10 heat cycles. I do not know about these ARPS.

Or maybe the head gasket is blown, but compression is good at 140psi across.

Anybody experiencing these??
    Thanks for the help and recomendation.
    Hec

+1
    I recently was running a ET 68-140 with around 14psi and I also had coolant blowing out the overflow tank. I just figured it was the head gasket. I was running the stock stretch bolts. I changed the head gasket but have not tested it yet.

You guys have running open loop, or a lower temp thermostat? With a big charger like that, or a turbo for sure, I would say it could be that easy, lots more heat getting generated when increasing the power output that much..

Currently I am running the 160 degree thermostat. It only does it under boost. I will check the torque on the ARP studs. If they r fine I think the head gasket is blown. Lets see...

+1
    Look guys, I think this is happenning quite a bit with the higher boost. I chased this problem on my RXT-X for about a month. I had suspected that I had a bad head gasket so I replaced the head & put on a new head gasket. The old head measured approx. .005" out of normal. Figured I had solved the problem. Went out & continued to blow out coolant. Additional testing showed that hard riding & turning ( lots of load ) at rpms in the range of 8500 - 8600 or more resulted in the coolant being dumped in the hull. I have to assume that the higher rpms are creating more heat, possibly the water pump can't keep up & is cavitating creating more air pressure?, a combination of both or what. I do know that is a consistent problem on my RXT-X at anything over 8500 rpms. Also, I did a pressure test on my cooling system after it started blowing out coolant after the new head & gasket & everything checked fine at 15-17 lbs.

I was forced to put on the open loop at the race site last week-end & the boat went out & ran better than it ever has. I have no clue what the engine temp. is as I did not have the stuff to install to monitor at the time.

As a note, I have been told by some that have high revving closed course boats that they all go to open loop. I guess this might be why? I do SuperCourse & just got to revving this engine in the higher rpm range recently. I never had a problem till I got over 8500 rpms. Hope this helps. Note: I changed the thermostat also & still had the problem.

Doug
    Last edited by Poppa Dawg; 11-03-2008 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Add info.

in cars that turned a lot of rpm we used a water pump with fewer vanes to keep the water pump from cavitating. but if it's going to cavitate with closed loop it's going to cavitate with open loop too and heat up the engine, just won't make a mess and leave evidence. If the water is cavitating at the water pump, the air in that whizzed up coolant can cause hot spots in the water jackets and become steam. Another thought, these don't have an over flow resevoir, that plastic bottle is like the tank on a radiator. Maybe adding an overflow bottle to the system would help.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppa Dawg View Post
    Look guys, I think this is happenning quite a bit with the higher boost. I chased this problem on my RXT-X for about a month. I had suspected that I had a bad head gasket so I replaced the head & put on a new head gasket. The old head measured approx. .005" out of normal. Figured I had solved the problem. Went out & continued to blow out coolant. Additional testing showed that hard riding & turning ( lots of load ) at rpms in the range of 8500 - 8600 or more resulted in the coolant being dumped in the hull. I have to assume that the higher rpms are creating more heat, possibly the water pump can't keep up & is cavitating creating more air pressure?, a combination of both or what. I do know that is a consistent problem on my RXT-X at anything over 8500 rpms. Also, I did a pressure test on my cooling system after it started blowing out coolant after the new head & gasket & everything checked fine at 15-17 lbs.

I was forced to put on the open loop at the race site last week-end & the boat went out & ran better than it ever has. I have no clue what the engine temp. is as I did not have the stuff to install to monitor at the time.

As a note, I have been told by some that have high revving closed course boats that they all go to open loop. I guess this might be why? I do SuperCourse & just got to revving this engine in the higher rpm range recently. I never had a problem till I got over 8500 rpms. Hope this helps. Note: I changed the thermostat also & still had the problem.

Doug

Doug is right on the money. Those of us that have gone to open loop no longer have this problem and no more overheat alarms. The pump pressure keeps the water flowing around the water pump impeller with no cavitation on the old style open loop kits. With the new style open loop kits we remove the water pump impeller.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppa Dawg View Post

Doug
    I have experienced the exact same problem on 2 separate X's (PX). Both were operating a 8500+RPM's. The first one I figured it was bad gas as I was running the Rotax 8800 ECU with no knock sensor. Then out of no where on a separate X with a Riva ECU the head gasket blew and this ski was running pig rich at the time. I have no explanation for the 2nd X. We definitely need to look more into this issue.
    I eventually switched the first X over to open loop. Like you said it ran awesome, got some of my best speeds out of it. Then after running like that for about 2 months the rings went.

Very interesting that everyone is experiencing this at higher rpms 8500+++
    With my ski I am turning 7900 rpm at 14 psi with 15.5/21.5 prop and it overflow in every pass. After 2 passes the coolant reservoir is completely empty.

+1
    when i first installed lightweight valves and a new head gasket on my X boat with ARP studs it leaked and puked coolant...........i truley believe it was my fault for not using COPPER COAT gasket seal because after i took it apart coated the new gasket as i had before with every other one i had done except the one before this that leaked it held after the copper coat was added just as all the rest had as long as i used the copper coat gasket sealer on BOTH sides of the new head gasket......that was at 8750 rpm's too! good luck!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information