help with hull repair pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

hey all , i had a hair line crack in my hull from hitting a tree i got the grinder out and ended up with a hole the size of a small plate and now that i am trying to fiberglass the bloody thing which i though would be preety easy and straight foward i forgot that i would be working from underneath the hull and now that i am there nothing is sticking and the fiber glass just falls off the hole is around the same place where the petrol tank is but i dont have the slightest clue on what to do should i try to fix the hole from the by trying to remove the petrol tank or is thereway i can work from underneath s(sorry guys i dont have any pictures) and any info will be great

+1
    it appears in your profile, you own a RXP. There are some "dry layup" issues with the rxp hulls. This may or may not be what you are dealing with, when you say your repairs aren't working.

There is an inner liner in there, and to get to the hull from the INSIDE, you will need to cut out the inner liner.

Quite frankly, you might have a huge mess on your hands.

Pictures would help...

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrotoys View Post
    it appears in your profile, you own a RXP. There are some "dry layup" issues with the rxp hulls. This may or may not be what you are dealing with, when you say your repairs aren't working.

There is an inner liner in there, and to get to the hull from the INSIDE, you will need to cut out the inner liner.

Quite frankly, you might have a huge mess on your hands.

Pictures would help...
    the reason why the reapirs arent working is i didnt calculate that iw ill working from underneath the hull and trying to get fiberglass to stick from underneath the hull it just dosent work so now i dont no what to do i am lost

+1
    The correct way to patch a hole in the hull is to lay a larger patch over the hole from the inside, then flip the hull and fill in the low area from the outside. That way, there is much more surface area for the patch to adhere to. This is how I fixed my '04 after putting a 2" x 20" gash in the hull and it's worked great.

Basically, it would work like this:
    1. Pull engine.
    2. Pull gas tank.
    3. Cut out inner hull.
    4. Remove styrofoam.
    5. Cut out damaged area, using a coarse wheel to finish the edges. Use the same coarse wheel to sand the area around the damage for an anchor pattern.
    6. Lay patch over hole from inside using alternating layers.
    7. Flip hull.
    8. Fill in from outside using alternating layers. Add dye to the last few layers.
    9. Let set.
    10. Sand smooth.
    11. Flip hull.
    12. Replace styrofoam or us foam from a can.
    13. Glass in inner liner.
    14. Install gas tank.
    15. Install engine.

It's definitely not an easy task, but it works. I've ridden my repaired '04 in the ocean several times and inspected the repair regularly without so much as a stress-crack.

Pic's would help.

Mike

+1
    Pics would definitely help. If your only issue is that you are working upside down then you need to drain the oil and gas from the ski and tip it up on the right side. You will need a couple guys to help you get it propped up but it works. The reason I say to prop up on the right side is because propping it up on the left may allow oil to get into the cylinders. If you do prop it on the left because it makes your repairs easier then you need to make sure you pull the spark plugs, give it WOT, and crank it over to be sure there is no oil hydrolocking the engine before starting the engine.
    I have done this more times then I like to admit with out any issues. In fact I have one propped up right now that I will get some pics of to pot shortly.
    I suggest you use an epoxy resin as it is 10 times stronger than the polyester resins. I use west systems from west marine.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by speedskixp View Post
    ...I suggest you use an epoxy resin .
    +1

+1

pics

Heres a couple of pics.
    BTW Mikes repair method is correct but you only need to go to that extreme if the hole goes all the way through and even then there are some other possibilities but some pics would tell us alot more,
    Here is a link to some past projects I have done this way.
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=76998
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	daves ski 005.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	872.5 KB 
ID:	102527   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	daves ski 006.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	728.7 KB 
ID:	102528  

+1
    After re reading your original post I noticed you said it now has a hole the size of a small plate. This is were Mikes method woul be the best but the only other option is to get some expanding foam and use it to fill the void. You can then sand the foam to shape and lay the glass over it. As long as you use epoxy and prepare the surface good it will be very strong. I have also done this method a couple times without any issues.
    Make sure if you use the expanding foam that you dont use to much because it can over expand and cause you more problems. Try a little first.

Quote Originally Posted by speedskixp View Post
    After re reading your original post I noticed you said it now has a hole the size of a small plate. This is were Mikes method woul be the best but the only other option is to get some expanding foam and use it to fill the void. You can then sand the foam to shape and lay the glass over it. As long as you use epoxy and prepare the surface good it will be very strong. I have also done this method a couple times without any issues.
    Make sure if you use the expanding foam that you dont use to much because it can over expand and cause you more problems. Try a little first.
    wowwwwww speed i am impressed with the dameges you have done bro lol they look like hard ridding (battle scars)

well taking the engine out for me is a big no no i dont have a clue on what to do and i dont think i will be doing that

but il will ivegot the ski on its side (right side now ) just a quick question what the chances on engine damage from the engine being on its side for to long and what things i should watch out for and do to keep the engine safe

Thread Information