Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

1996 xp problem. steach, 96XPss, please help

well, i picked up a 96 xp on saturday. needed a motor mount, rave springs, an exhaust water regulator diaphram, and voltage rectifier which i happened to have all of sitting in my garage.

once all that was done, it ran great on the hose. took it to the canal for a test ride and or course its acting weird. not something i have seen before but my interaction with these is limited so far (soon to change). the ski will take off and accelerate great at full rpm (from what i can tell without a tac) and then fall off a 1k or more rpm. will do it repeated every 3-5 seconds as i hold WOT. if i let off and get back on it, it will always rev out completely then fall. never start fallen, always with full power.

the ski still has stock tempo line and dont look pretty. they are starting to have the gummy **** leak out of them. was planning on changing those before any real rides. just wanted to see how it ran today. within the next week or two the fuel lines will be replaced and carbs thoroughly cleaned. i bet they will be pretty nasty. the more i think about it, the more it seems like its starving for fuel in the top end. which is why it will not hit the water again until all that aboved mentioned is done. my questions are:

could this have anything to do with it?

sound more like a cdi or coil as far as my rpm issue?

which arrestors need mounting brakets with these motors and which dont (stock carbs)? i am throwing a set on there and rejetting while i am at it to get rid of the damned box. i hate messing with that thing. jet and screw settings please?

thanks.

Since you have just picked up the ski and you not having any prior knowledge of how the ski was maintained I would check the following:

1. Clean/Rebuild carbs.
    2. Clean/Replace Fuel lines.
    3. Clean/Check to make sure your RAVE values are cleaned and operational(not getting stuck).
    4. Replace Rectifier.

It sounds like you have a rectifier issue. Was the rectifier you had in your possession a new one? I would first test the rectifier, as it's easy and quick. (As Robert(96xpss) as I forgot how to test them.)

all you do to check the rectifier is unplug the red wire coming from it. already did it. the rectifier i have in there is good.

as was said in my original post, i planned on doing fuel lines and carbs before any real ridding. i plan on completely yanking the entire fuel system out and cleaning everything. the motor has a very fresh top end with new jugs and all. i doubt that top end has ten hours on it. too clean.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    It's the internal filter screens clogged in the carbs. When the engine revs to max rpms, then falls, it doesn't have enough fuel to maintain max rpms. Don't ride it until you do the fuel lines and carbs. The new top end was probably due to a lean seizure.

Fly's or Prok's make the most HP, no need to buy anything else. No mounting brackets needed, but adapter fittings to the carbs are.

awesome. thanks alot. i know the motor is still healthy as of now. 155 mag and 157 pto. i cant wait to get it back in the water.

Damn I'm good... called it at the ramp

Let's get to work.

as soon as i can find the ellusive goodyear line.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    It's the internal filter screens clogged in the carbs. When the engine revs to max rpms, then falls, it doesn't have enough fuel to maintain max rpms. Don't ride it until you do the fuel lines and carbs. The new top end was probably due to a lean seizure.

Fly's or Prok's make the most HP, no need to buy anything else. No mounting brackets needed, but adapter fittings to the carbs are.
    +1, clean the fuel selector and tank as well.

Good luck with the new ride.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by redemn93 View Post
    as soon as i can find the ellusive goodyear line.
    I use Gates (non fuel inj) line from NAPA.

cool. i have a napa right down the street. 20' should do it? i planned on stripping the fuel system and starting fresh.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information