Lake Winnipesaukee (in NH)

Speed limit on lake Winnipesaukee?

Not sure if anyone else has a house on this lake but...................

I have a house on Lake Winnipesaukee in NH and apparently they are enforcing a new speed limit on the lake (45mph).

Does anyone think this is ridiculous considering Winnipesaukee is such a big lake in the first place.... I mean the little sea-doo speedster goes over 45mph but then you have these huge bajas going about 75.
    I doubt anyone will obey this stupid new law especially with the powerful boats of today.

Any other lake limits out there?

panama city beach 'fl

It maybe so far from shore,you may what to check details
    had chances to spend few summers there BIG ass lake
    later cd

Yea i don't really know what the details are...
    But yea it is a really big lake definitely not needing a speed limit.

First thing i install on my boat is going to be a radar detector... haha that would be sweet.

It will be in effect for 2 years. Likely less many say. has lots of info.

I spend summers there, we are currently finishing a place on Rattlesnake Island.

The only place I have seen cops are in places where I wouldnt likely be doing over 45 - congested spots.

Its a big lake - get out there and run with the 100mph Bajas!

Heres some details:

In the Year of Our Lord Two Thousand Seven

AN ACT relative to general rules for vessels operating on water.

Be it Enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Court convened:

1 New Paragraphs; General Rules for Vessels Operating on Water. Amend RSA 270-D:2 by inserting after paragraph IX the following new paragraphs:

X.(a) No person shall operate a vessel on Lake Winnipesaukee at a speed greater than is reasonable and prudent under the existing conditions and without regard for the actual and potential hazards then existing. In all cases, speed shall be controlled so that the operator will be able to avoid endangering or colliding with any person, vessel, object, or shore.

(b) Where no hazard exists that requires lower speed for compliance with subparagraph (a), the speed of any vessel in excess of the limit specified in this subparagraph shall be prima facie evidence that the speed is not reasonable or prudent and that it is unlawful:

(1) 25 miles per hour during the period from 1/2 hour after sunset to 1/2 hour before sunrise; and

(2) 45 miles per hour at any other time.

(c) The speed limitations set forth in subparagraph (b) shall not apply to vessels when operated with due regard for safety under the direction of the peace officers in the chase or apprehension of violators of the law or of persons charged with, or suspected of, any such violation, nor to fire department or fire patrol vessels, nor to private emergency vessels when traveling to emergencies. This exemption shall not, however, protect the operator of any such vessel from the consequences of a reckless disregard of the safety of others.

(d) The speed limitations set forth in subparagraph (b) shall not apply to boat racing permitted under RSA 270:27.

XI. Any conviction under this section shall be reported to the commissioner of the department of safety, division of motor vehicles, and shall become a part of the motor vehicle driving record of the person convicted.

2 Repeal. RSA 270-D:2, X-XI, relative to speed limits on Lake Winnipesaukee, is repealed.

3 Effective Date.

I. Section 1 of this act shall take effect January 1, 2009.

II. The remainder of this act shall take effect January 1, 2011.

Rattlesnake island is pretty far from my place... I'm Right next to the sand bar Braun Bay i'm sure you have heard of it... and Long Island and Trexler's Marina where they overprice gas which is awful becuase my speedster is a gas guzzler.

But yea I don't think that law will be very effective...

yup I know where you are, we used to rent Dollar Island every summer before building on Rattlesnake.

Best place in the world to have a SeaDoo (at least from June-Sept)....

I dont see the speed limit being an issue - common sense in busy areas, have fun out in the open. Acting like an idiot will draw attention.

We will see...

and yeah, whats with their gas prices? - I use Shep Browns or West Alton or Goodhue

Hahahaha well obviously I am going to act like an idiot in the speedster... it's made for that.

Ya so it's definitely going to be enforced near Wolfeboro... it's always packed around there.

So when I am going to the Naswa (I'm sure you know what that is) I'll keep it slow.

Cypress, TX
    I have yet to see an accurate speedometer on a boat, much less a PWC. I doubt they can enforce an actual speed limit, but if you draw attention and run at WOT in crowed areas then they will probably come after you.

I have not seen any speed limits in Texas but plenty of no wake zones in some areas.

Thread Information